The importance of revisiting tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

especially if you 1st tried it as a rookie\novice.
    Important is probably the wrong word but it is good advice that if you are not crazy about a tobacco the 1st time you try it;
    cellar it and try it later on.

Here is my story which involves McClelland's Wilderness:

When I 1st started smoking a pipe almost 2 years ago, I received a generous sampler package from our very own YinYang. One of the tobaccos was Wilderness.
    At that time, I only had my 1 pipe; an estate Jobey Fawn, which I have since dedicated it to aro's.
    It had to have been my 1st taste of anything with latakia in it and really didn't know much about it.
    I really didn't care for this blend at all. I actually gave it a 1 out of 4.

I kept reading and hearing good things about this one. In a recent trade with Briar Boy, I got a 2-3 bowl sample of Wilderness.
    Now please note that I LOVE Englishe's and blends with Latakia in it. (VA\LAT\O's especially)
    I fell in love after I tried Frog Morton for the 1st time. English'es are probably my favorite now.

So just I fired some Wilderness up in my Sas pipe that is dedicated to English'es. (I have a few other English dedicated pipes also).
    Now I didn't LOVE it, but I do like it much better and understand it now.
    I am leaning towards changing my 1 rating to a 2.5 or 3. Probably 3 star.

So just thought I would share my story and to encourage many beginners to try a tobacco again later on after you have been at it for awhile and understand all the different types of tobacco.

I would love to hear others thoughts, opinions, and experiences on trying a tobacco later on that they did not like initially.

2. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

My first tobacco order, about 2 weeks into my pipe journey I bought some C&D Autumn Evening and Mississippi Mud. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, but after I smoked a bowl of the mud I had a terrible headache that kept me up half the night, and wasnt too crazy about the taste of it either. I ended up trading the rest away. I pulled out the clay I tried it in not too long ago (still ghosted with the flavor), and took a few draws through the empty pipe...and now I cant see what it was I didnt like about it. I'll probably be including a tin in my next order to give it another go.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Excellent post, Ming!

I've had it go both ways... some blends I loved at first went south on me later.

The only thing I'd add is that before writing off a tobacco (unless it's something like Paladin or M79) try it in various states of moisture, various loading methods, various pipes, etc. I have found not one but two tobaccos that only work in one single pipe. Russ Ouelette's Classic Burley Kake only works in one of my least expensive briars and Two Friends English Chocolate only works in a Bekler meer. Weird but true.

Ol Brokedik and Capt like this.
  4. Mington

I just had Two Friends English Chocolate in a meer at Capt's house on Friday. Great tobacco and wonderful in a meer.:thu2:

5. dmkerr

Wish I could have joined you. :toast:

Mington likes this.
  6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Happened to me with Mc Brindle flake, 1st time I wasn't very impressed & didn't understand all the high reviews. sat on it for awhile & tried it later and have really grown to love this blend. Interesting post Ming!

Mington likes this.
  7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Excellent post, Ming!:thu2:

Mington likes this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes, I bought it because of your review.

Don you are spot on. I hated Bob's Chocolate the first two tins, but i kept smoking and smoking it, now I have pounds of it. I just knew there was something in there I liked.

Mington likes this.
  9. Mington

I am still working on this one. heh
    Not giving up. ;)

10. dmkerr

That's frightening! Never do that again! :xd:

Capt and Mington like this.
  11. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I've revisited blends and found some more pleasing than I remembered and others less so. There seem to be many variables in how a blend hits you. Time of day, what you've eaten, or indeed if you've eaten. Then there's tobac moisture, air moisture and what pipe your smoking it in. That's how I judge a "perfect" blend, it has to be consistantly enjoyable.

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Good post Ming.. I've revisited a couple of tobaccos and was happy that I did.

13. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

None more so than Virginias. There is painfully large learning curve to these tobaccos.

14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I didn't like Squadron Leader at first. So glad I came back to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.