1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The low priced handmade thread!!!!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by joequo, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joequo

joequo Member

Hey all! I wanted to start this thread to 1. share my experiences in the search for affordable handmade pipes and 2. see if any of you have similar discoveries to share that I missed.

As a college student who loves handmade pipes but is often unable afford them, I've been on constant watch over the last few years for artisan pipe makers whose pipes often cost less than $200, preferably less than $150. That kind of money can net a person just about any factory pipe, but rarely a handmade--and for good reason! Pipe makers spend a lot of time performing and perfecting their art, thus the higher prices are justified.

Anyway, for those of us who want to invest in the beautiful art of handmade pipes but are constrained by budget, here are some excellent pipe makers that I've found over the years.

1. Mastro Cascia -- Italy

I stumbled upon M. Cascia's pipes while scouring ebay one day, and I'm truly glad that I did. I saw his pipe listings and was impressed with the style and quality of his pipes, and I could hardly believe the prices. So I ordered one. It was a neat cobra shaped pipe, which has become my go-to pipe for smoking Fusilier's Ration. The materials are top-notch, the grain beautiful, the smokeability among the best pipes I own. I liked that pipe so much that I just today won another of Cascia's beauties pictured here:

[​IMG]

The pipe above cost me $129.00 + shipping (about $16 from Italy). What the crap! If are interested in his work, just type "Cascia pipe" in ebay or better yet, visit his seller page under the name salemi-pipe since he sometimes lists half of his pipes in the US and half in Europe (but ships worldwide regardless)

2. Adrian James/Tria America

Adrian James and his other brand Tria America are also ebay treasures. Some of Adrian's signature pipes eclipse $200, but others are firmly planted in the $100-$200 range. Before anyone seemed to be aware of this talented pipe maker, I won a long stem (bakelite stem!) sandblasted billiard pictured below for a criminally low price (I'm talkin less than $50...that will probably never happen again)
    [​IMG]

Adrian's offering under the Tria America label are all under $200 as far as I've seen, while his signature line is more expensive. Anyway, his designs are truly unique, the craftmanship is top-notch--keep any eye on his offerings because they offer a tremendous value, and you are unlikely to find anything else out there like them. I suggest you invest in his pipes before demand pushes the prices way, way up. The following pipe is one that I paid more for than I usually do, but I've never seen anything quite like it, so I had to have it:
    [​IMG]

Adrian usually posts an announcement in the sale forum here when he lists a pipe on ebay, so watch out for his posts here or shoot him an e-mail if you are interested in acquiring one of his pipes.

3. Tom Leedy

Tom Leedy is a maker I found in a forum thread discussing this very topic--handmade pipes for a low price! My first handmade was from Tom Leedy, and so was my second and third. What can I say? Although his designs are unorthodox, I just can't get enough of Tom Leedy. The man is perhaps the only pipe maker I've seen who makes interesting pipes and typically charges less than $100 for them. I've bought several of his pipes, but my favorite smoker is the deer antler shanked wonder pictured below, which I pick up any time I need a Latakia blast via Pirate Kake.
    [​IMG]

Well, those are my three favorite budget-friendly pipe makers...what do you guys think? Did I miss someone whose pipes you love? Please share!!!

2. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I'd add Jake Hackert to that list as his pipes come in around $150.....if you can find them. He puts about 2 on ebay every Wednesday about lunch time central standard time. Gotta be quick though!

3. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

R.C. Sands (Chuck Sands) fanboy here. His pipes can be found usually for $50-$125. They're not the most precise shaping or detailing, but the briar is very old (~20 years, but sometimes as much as 50 years), they're comfortable and are of very durable and common-sense construction.

4. Terry292

Terry292 Member

My wife bought me an R. C. Sands pipe in Columbus last year. I'm very pleased with it, so far. For it's size, it's very light. Based on this one exemplar, I'd have no problem recommending him, also.

5. leonidas

leonidas Member

...where can these RC Sands pipes be obtained??

6. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

COUGHCOUGHCOUGHCOUGHSORRYCOUGH

Also, there are a few tobacconists around Ohio that he sells them at. He makes them in his barn outside of Columbus. He also helps Tim West in making Tim West pipes.

jpberg, Moose and Old Codger like this.
  7. leonidas

leonidas Member

............thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. joequo

joequo Member

Awesome suggestions guys! I forgot to mention in my opening post that I also enjoy the work of Olie Sylvester. The man makes some seriously crazy looking pipes, and they tend to be priced under $200, although some of his more elaborate pieces go for more. I purchased one of the pipes from his zombie series pictured here :
    [​IMG]

You can check out his work at http://oompaulpodcast.squarespace.com/

9. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Make your own!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cost: Approximately $40 + a little time and some other stuff.

11. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

So Spill, by the time you sell one of those its like .02 cents per hour on labor? :)
    Very nice pipe as well :thu2:

12. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Oh I don't sell them. I'm learning. One day, when I grow up, maybe I'll sell a pipe.

jpberg likes this.
  13. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

;) gotcha.
    Maybe someday you wont be able to sell me one either:rolleyes:

14. joequo

joequo Member

Beautiful pipe Spillproof! I'd buy that pipe all day, every day. It reminds me of a phonograph...so cool.

15. Gig

Gig Member

You can buy good pipes cheap, just requires some research or you can have some fun making your own as suggested :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.