The Macbaren Virginias, gents?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nah, hardcore is smoking
    straight perique. Unless,
    of course, you were
    being sarky.

Old Ted likes this.
  2. Taco

Taco Member

I've smoked straight Perique. Not thatl enjoyable but I made it though a small bowl. However, I have never been able to make it through a bowl of MacB Virginia #1. In fact, it is the only tobacco I had to throw out the remainder of the tin because I couldn't face having to look at it and I couldn't face even giving it away. It is the only tobacco that I actively steer people away from -- so I'm impressed by he hardcore nature of the MacB V#1 aficionados on this board.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

With most MacBs, one
    must treat them with
    respect lest one's tongue
    suffers the consequences.

jdto likes this.
  4. jeff394

jeff394 Member

VA #1 bit me from the first light. Only tobacco to ever do that. Maybe I did something wrong.

5. kb7get

kb7get Member

I stock and like #1, GE and Scottish Mix. No problem with any of them, but then again I know how to smoke a pipe.

Old Ted likes this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Virginia flakes are not the easiest of tobaccos to smoke no matter who blends them, they require a different approach or technique to the CH, PA's and Captain Cack's of this world or they will burn your tongue, make your pipe an untouchable require much lighting, and lead to frustration! - some to a greater degree than others. However, as with most good things a little patience and understanding allied to sound advice will bring rewards. I have for many years told myself, and others! LOL -that I don't like MacBaren tobacco, and with missgivings bought a pound of #1 recently, why? - you may ask, because of the price and the fact that being 'straight' VA it would make a good mix with my other stuff, if unsatisfactory on it's own. Well, I do mix it....and also smoke a lot of it on it's own - yes, at first I was using a very small pipe and puffing away with gusto on a tightly packed bowl!....bad news!:eek:, but a little experimentation soon had me sipping this blend as an easy, sweet 'all day' smoke in the OGS, Dunnie flake, Bright CR style, but at a lot less cost.......I'm certainly ordering more!
    OT

7. oldworldpipes

oldworldpipes Member

I picked up some really old #1 that was probably tinned in the 70's or 80's and cannot get it to bite me. Has a little bit of tang to it. Maybe from the honey? I never smoked a fresh tin so I am not sure how it tastes young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.