1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The making of a Dunhill Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by cobbsmoker, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I found this on another website and thought it was interesting, are those fills in that Dunhill pipe? Look at the bowls of the pipes where the stems are being heated to bend.

Skrymr likes this.
  2. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

Seen the show several times but never saw the "fills" til now. Looks like fills to me in the still shot.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Looks like wet spots to me.

What freaks me out in the video is that you see a guy carefully cutting a single billiard as though that's the day's production, and then it jumps to pictures of a dozen identical zulus that look like they were frased out on a machine. Kind of bizarre.

Cool to see the specialized tools they have though.

4. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

So does that take them out of the "hand made" business?! It's amazing just how fast the can produce one.

5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Yeah, I thought the video was cool, I have never really seen a tenon being cut before and that was interesting but I wasn't sure what I was seeing on those bowls.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

"Hand made" is really a pretty meaningless term. There's no such thing as a machine where you put materials in one end and pipes come out the other. All pipes are handled by hands. Some pipes moreso than others, and some companies manage to make 500 a day, but really, "hand made" doesn't mean a hell of a lot unless you are talking about a guy working in his garage and carving pipes with his teeth. Usually the idea we are trying to get across is whether the stummel is frased out on a cutter head vs being shaped by sanding, handheld (this Castello video is a good indicator)

WrightwoodJohn and cobbsmoker like this.
  7. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Those guys have it easy. Check this out.

cobbsmoker, tungbite and TheMadMan like this.
  8. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Cool video. Those Castello boys make rustication look as easy as making an egg sandwich. The music though... really?

9. furious

furious Junque collector

Love these vids. I would suggest that Sas put out his own "How it's Made" video complete with perspiration, tears, and expletives for added effect!!

Old Codger likes this.
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That would be fugly.

Old Codger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.