1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The MM Washington... a superior smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stoked, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

May 6, 2010
    I don't look at my 8 cobs as disposable (though I'll probably sell the Freehand due to the weight and having to hold it for 1 1/2 hours). The way things are going, I think the cobs will last a long time.

I think my briars and meers became disposable after I discovered that I enjoyed my favorite tobaccos (mainly PS LNF & OGS) more in the cobs. I have a natural Freehand, two natural Diplomats, 3 reg. Diplomats, a C.G. and a Legend. (After reading this thread, I'm going to pick up a Missouri Pride and Washington.) My two natural Diplomats and the natural Freehand smoke the best. The reg. Diplomats and the Legend come next and the C.G. come in last (of the cobs). All give me a better smoke than my 5 briars and 2 meers. I've never had a "wet heel" or gurgle in any of my cobs (though the Freehand stem and the Forever "shorty" stem used to condense some moisture on the end of the tenon in kind of a "pre-gurgle" manner. Drilling the tenon inlet to a larger size solved that problem.)

I lucked out 40 some years ago in that the first pipe I bought, a GBD bent prehistoric, was an outstanding pipe. After I destroyed it, subsequently purchased pipes didn't measure up. One very expensive freehand was the worst pipe I've owned though I've only owned 25 or so briars (mostly genuine "estate" pipes gifted to me and some ebay used pipes. The failed search for a good smoker that equaled or exceeded the GBD caused me to give up the pipe for 35 years.

When I decided to give the pipe a try again in March of this year, I bought a MM Legend. It was such a good smoker that I bought some briars and meers in addition to another 7 cobs. The briars and meers smoked fine but I enjoyed the cobs more and decided, though I really like the looks of many briars and meers, it didn't make sense to keep spending money looking for pipes that smoked better than the cobs. I'd rather spend the money on tobacco and not worry about losing or damaging an expensive pipe. I suffered enough trauma when I ran over the GBD with a front end loader reducing it to dust.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Bittersweet there WB. I too feel the cob is totally the weedburner of choice if I could only have ONE type of pipe. It's. The most carefree smoke I've experienced. I've got 4 cobs infront of me but what's in my mouth and enjoyin' the daylights out of the pleasure is a briar (nosewarmer, a la Stummel Bum, great pipe btw!)

I really enjoy cobs but I likes me meers & briars as well. Been curious about morta.....

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.