1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Pad Strikes Back

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nobler son, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

So, gents. New pipe today. I'd looked at this one a time or two, and I was always turned off by it being a filtered pipe. Also, by it being a Medico.

Ultimately, a few things changed my mind and made me consider it. First, I like the shape. 1/8 (I think) bent egg with saddle bit, which is interesting, to me, anyway. Second, I've been smoking my Grabow and cobs with the filters in, and I really appreciated how they no longer feel like blistering steam engines. And third, something Marc said.

Just because I hated the little brylon abomination that started my foray into pipes didn't mean all Medico pipes were bad. And besides, this one is made of briar, and is the first budget pipe I've seen that doesn't have the chamber carbonized or covered in putty.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Nice pipe and I am sure you will enjoy it tremendously, like you, I like a filtered pipe too and have many old guard pipes myself, still going strong after all these many years. My Medico briars smoke very well and broke in easily.

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

By the way. I discovered this pipe had been in the shop for a while. I was giving it an initial cleaning with some bourbon, and I screwed up and got some on the stem. Now it's showing oxidation stains. Anyone one know if that can be polished or sanded or anything?

4. woody

woody Admin Admin

I've done the dame thing, it'll polish out.

5. nobler son

nobler son Member

Anything specific you used?

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

A classic Old Guard Pipe - and none the worse for being so - looks like it would have a nice balance for a clencher.

I've had some luck polishing out marks like that with metal polish (wadding) and a finish off with boot polish - but simple spit might help,

Happy smoking

Gerry

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Heck yeah! Looks like a great little smoker! :coffee:

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

You can get walker briar work's stem restoration kit online. It works well for bring back oxidized stem & small polishing jobs. You can also try sanding w/ a really fine sand paper like 1000 for lite oxidation & polish w/ a pipewax like irc's paragon wax.

9. nobler son

nobler son Member

Highest grit I've found thus far is about 330. I'll keep searching, though.

I'd like to get some Paragon, but the manufacturer's shipping cost is twice the price of the damn wax.

10. Burner

Burner Member

Micromesh is great for polishing most things.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey man , if youre near a pipe shop they might have a buffer. Bring em in and theyll be happy to polish them for you . Prob . wont charge much if anything

12. nobler son

nobler son Member

I read that you can use olive oil, though it's best used on a new stem. Apply a small amount of oil to the stem and let it sit for ten minutes, then polish.

I let it sit for about seven hours. We'll see if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.