1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The Peterson Obsession Continues

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I made the mistake of poking around online a bit and found this bad boy for sale. After requesting and getting a few more pictures I snapped it up right quick. The seller listed it as a "Kapet" pipe, but I'm doing some digging to confirm if that's correct. At least anything new for sale under that name is rusticated. Also the shape is stamped 265 which I don't see in the current Peterson catalog. 264 is the closest, but I believe this 265 has a slightly longer shank/shorter stem. The right flank isn't quite as nice as the left, but the birdseye all down the left is amazing! The right still has a bit with some mixed (mostly vertical-ish straight) on the bowl.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. brunchman

brunchman Member

Hmmmm 265, are you sure this isnt a fake Peterson? Either way nice looking pipe :)

3. Tony Malerich

Even if it's not the genuine article, if it smokes well it was well worth the price paid! I'm waiting to hear back in a separate Peterson forum about the shape.

4. brunchman

brunchman Member

Y.........you've been going to another pipe smoking forum? How long........HOW LONG?

:p:

Monkeyshine likes this.
  5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Beautiful lovat. Love all that birdseye.

6. Tony Malerich

I.... I've already said to much *hangs head in shame*

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Interesting. Shank looks a little thicker than the 264 I have. Perhaps just the photo perspective. I thought 265 was a billiard shorter shanked model.

8. Tony Malerich

Yeah, the stem/shank proportion definitely makes 265 a billiard rather than lovat. It seemed a good comparison, though, for overall shape with this pipe to something currently listed as "in production."

Old Codger likes this.
  9. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Nice pipe Tony. That birds eye is killer.

10. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Keep in mind that not all Peterson numbered shaped pipes all turn out the same.

I have several 268 zulu shapes and some are a bit different from the others. For example, one may be extremely bent for a zulu while the others not so much. Some are longer and some have a bit more cant to the bowl.

Maybe they saw all of that beautiful birdseye and went "outside the box" just a little bit.

Either way, who cares.........that is a nice pipe!!

Old Codger and Tony Malerich like this.
  11. SimplyNate

SimplyNate Member

I was attempting to look it up on the net and ran into the other site you inquired on. Don't worry I'll keep it on the down low lol.

Anyway, I see on other forums that people are smoking a #265 so it definitely could be genuine. Still trying to locate a picture.

Edit: Well after some searching someone does mention that they are currently smoking a "Peterson Kapet 265".

Tony Malerich likes this.
  12. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Doesn't look like any Kapet that I've ever seen... that is beautiful grain! congrats on the beautiful pipe, I'm sure she'll smoke like a dream!

Edit: It appears that back in the 70's (and possibly earlier/later) there were smooth Kapets being made.

13. Slow Tri

I have had many Peterson shapes over the years but never the 80s Bulldog. I think that I'm going to start collecting a few of those in the various finishes. They look awesome (not trying to thread jack. sorry).

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'd have called it a Canadian...long shank, short tapered stem, flattened oval shape....

Anyway, both on ebay and the estates section of SP have turned up some pipes marked "Kapet" in a smooth finish, as well as more than one type of rustication. It seems they haven't always been strictly just rusticated pipes

15. Tony Malerich

Not a worry at all! 80s is a fine looking shape. An 80s ebony spigot came up in SP.com estates recently... it was oh so tempting, but I resisted! Unsurprisingly it went quickly.

Also, re: your earlier response, the 268 is definitely the next shape I'm itching to add to my collection. A lot that I've seen recently have been Donegals, though, which doesn't appeal to me. Has at least help keep the PAD in check. :D

[​IMG]

16. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I <3 my Petes!:th1:

17. Tony Malerich

Yeah, it does look a bit oval in the photos, but I'm not 100%. Jury is out until I get it in the mail to pronounce final shape judgement! *readies the gavel*

18. Slow Tri

268s are my first love. I have 6 of them in my Zulu collection. I saw that 80s Spigot the other day as well. I should have jumped on it. Arrrrggg.

19. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

My first pipe was a Peterson 268 Aran given to me by my dad, one of my favorite shapes. I still smoke it quite regularly.

Tony Malerich likes this.
  20. Tony Malerich

Woohoo, the pipe arrived today! I couldn't take pictures that do it any more justice than those already shared so I won't bother. Official verdict on things, though -- top of the shank is stamped Peterson's Kapet, bottom has Made in the Republic of Ireland, and then right side just behind the bowl has the 265 shape number. Squat oval shank flattened slightly on the bottom (sits nicely) with a tapered P-lip stem so we're going with "Canadian" for the shape. Incredibly light, too, at just under an ounce (26.9 grams). Going to go light it up now with a wee bit of Irish Flake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.