1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The Pipe That Got Away

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Kyler, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyler

Kyler Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Long time pipe smokers all have those few pipes they wanted to purchase but for some reason they did not. In my 12+ years of smoking pipes, I have two that stand out in my memory.

My first hugely regrettable non-pipe purchase was back in Spring of 2001. My brother, mother, and I were visiting London on spring break. I am a huge Dunhill fan so of course I had to visit their home store. I wasn't really in the pipe shopping since I already had a very nice Dunhill at home. Though on my second trip to the store I found in a display case a freehand ring grain shell Dunhill for 175pounds. Which at the time was about $270. An expensive pipe, but for the rarity of the type a very good price. At the time, I was going through a big fine pen kick and decided to purchase another Dunhill pen. Shortly after returning home I regretted that decision. It just ate at me that a bought a pen while very nice(I still have it today) was not nearly as unique as the pipe.

Here is a picture of similar Dunhill shell freehand. The one I saw was smaller, the bottom of the bowl was a point, and the stem was bent.

My second horrible non-pipe purchase was during my honeymoon in 2007. My wife & I were shopping in Venice, Italy. I found a quirky mens store that sold pipes, knives, and shaving stuff. The owner had a small but very respectable collection of nice pipes for sale. After talking to me for a few minutes he realized I knew my stuff about pipes so decided to pull out some of the high end pipes he still had for sale. He shows me a few really nice pipes, but saved the best for last. He pulls out a fine wooden box and open and pulls out a beautiful blond bent apple. The pipe was made by Mastro De Paja for what I can remember the anniversary of the completion of St. Peter's Basilica. The pipe itself was wonderful but the silverwork on the stummel was really made it an awesome pipe. A master silversmith had attached to the stummel a sterling silver replica of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica. To give this pipe even more credit, my wife loved this pipe. My wife doesn't like the fact that I smoke and up to that point didn't understand that pipes could be a form of art just like a canvas or piece of clay. She said it would be okay for me to purchase the pipe even though it cost $350. I decide that was too much money since Venice was the last stop on our honeymoon & we already had spent most of our spending money. To this day I still regret not buying that pipe, especially since the wife gave me the nod to purchase it. Though I highly doubt she would have let me smoke it, I think she would have made me put on display in our china cabinet.

Here is a picture of the pipe I found online. The photograph doesn't do it justice especially after you held it your own hands and see it with your own eyes.

So feel free to share you sad stories of the pipe you didn't purchase or just missed out on.
  2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    I really don't understand the mystique behind Dunhills, but that Mastro is stunning! Yep, you should be kicking yourself for passing on that one...especially when SWMBO had given you her blessing. BAD Kyler!! :eek:hyeah:
  3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    You only live once. If you see something you really want, buy it. If you don't, you will forever regret it, as you have found out.
  4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Sep 15, 2010
    That Mastro is really exactly what I have been wanting, it is nearly what I have envisioned, but with superb silverwork. I doubt I will ever see one of those, and be able to purchase it.

I do not have 'the one that got away' yet, but I am sure there will be a few, unfortunately.
  5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I don't have a story of the one that
    got away because I own those two
    Castellos. :eek:hyeah:

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Thanks for sarting what could turn out to be a great thread and for you very interesting post. Loved reading it and the missed pipe in Venice is really quite something.

My missed pipe was a lot humbler. When younger and posted in Edinburgh there were two House of Bewlay tobacconists in Princes Street that I used to go and admire once a week at least. One day they had a display of special isssue ST. Bruno pipes in that tobaccos then house colours of maroon and off white. These pipes were carved in a rustic finish to resemble horn and at the time, in the Decade that Style Forgot, would have been considered stylish - very much so.

The trouble was I has some inconvenient children to feed, a wife to keep, a rent to pay, eating money to find etc etc so I swithered about buying one. Next week I got an unexpected tax rebate and rushed down to get one. All gone and even though the manageress phoned round a lot of branches they were all sold out too.

I occasionally think of that pipe but I can't really say with extreme regret - even if I had got it I'd still probably be happily back to smoking Falcons anyway!

Best to all

7. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    So far, there are none that I really regret not buying. I have been looking for a Dunhill from the year of my birth (1962), but so far I haven't found the one I can't live without. What I fear is that the nice ones tend to get expensive, and that like Gerry, I will find that other obligations are more important than a pipe.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
  9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    There's this GBD Concorde that went for $80. I decided it was too rich for my blood when the bidding went over $60..

Fortunately, a recently-arrived Sas custom has helped ease the pain!

10. Major

Major Member

Jan 6, 2011
    There was a nice hand made on ebay I wanted due to its uniqueness and yet it wasn't a monster pipe. The price was right and I could have easily outbid the final sale price which i thought was low. I actually expected it to sell more than I wanted to pay for. Am I kicking myself for the mess up? Not really. But for some reason I keep an eye out for that shape everywhere I browse.

The next pipe that came along was yesterday.... it was just over the border of what I was willing to pay for any pipe. But it was so unique and I really really wanted it but for some reason I was resisting so bad I found myself on the edge of the "add to cart" button with beads of sweat on my upper lip. So I contacted Mington to get his 2 cents worth and he went just as bonkers over the pipe.. so he pushed me over the edge. "ADD TO CART"!

I'll show it off when it arrives of course. Think Meerschaum while you wait. This would have been one of those pipes that if I passed it up I would be kicking myself for months to come and eventualy consoling myself with "gees get a grip man.... its just a fricken pipe".
  11. MakDragon

MakDragon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I brought a Peterson Tawny yellow meer back from Ireland in 1988 before I really got into pipe smoking. (I even didnt know it WAS a meer then!) Loved the look of this bent yellowish pipe and when my uncle told me he had broke the one I had given him a while before, I gave that pipe to him. He passed about 10 years ago and I was hoping to get the pipe back from my aunt but you know how families go..... Anyway, there appeared on Ebay the other day, the same pipe and I bid on it, then forgot I bid on it and it was won by someone who paid a price I definitely would have out bid for. Oh well.... on to search again.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.