1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The pipes from dad

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Linus, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linus

Linus Member

I´ve spent most of the week in sweden visiting my father and a couple of friends and my dad figuered that since i´ve begun smoking pipe more lately i could as well make use of his old pipes, a briar and a meer =)
    They both seem like good pipes even though a bit abused and i guess i´ll turn to a proffesional to give them some TLC

Here´s some pictures, starting out with the briar.
    [​IMG]
    As anyone can see a new stem must be made (i´ve googled and have pictueres of how the original stem looked)
    [​IMG]
    The markings on this side says "RATOS ROOT OLD BRIAR.
    [​IMG]
    And on this side they say "105 HANDMADE IN FRANCE"

Some reaming (the chamber is caked to about 1/3"), buffing and a new stem and i bet it´ll smoke like a dream :bing:

2. Linus

Linus Member

And of course the meer =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There´s some markings on the shank but they are partly missing, KO**AK (the space of the missing letters looks like it´s two missing, therefore the **)

Mington and Basil Meadows like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Awesome ! Man , that briar is a trip ... the carving looks like ancient runes [ however thats spelled ] . The Meer is fantastic ! I love seeing pipes get passed from one generation to another [ in the family ] . Enjoy them , Thor ! They are really cool :th1:

WrightwoodJohn and Linus like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Very nice pipe. The meer has colored nicely, and the briar reminds me of an old piece of drift wood that my grandmother had. She found it on Lake Champlain, Vermont in the lat 1950's, and it sat on her porch for decades.

Linus likes this.
  5. Linus

Linus Member

The carvings are nice, but i have no idea why they are there, they were there when my father bought it brand new, either in the late 70:s or early 80:s (he could even tell me what store he bought it from, to bad that store now most sell hookas and and marijuana/haschish accesories =/ )

Here´s a borrowed picture of another Ratos mod. 105 restored by someone in sweden. i can only assume that the stem is original and my father comfirmed that the stem hade the same look until it snapped and he just jamed a bent one to the pipe (that has been a bit straighend out) =)

[​IMG]

Mington likes this.
  6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

The briar sings vintage to me, very interesting pipe!

Linus likes this.
  7. Linus

Linus Member

As i said, he claims to have bought it in the late 70:s or early 80:s.
    He´s never relly been a pipesmoker, the only thing i´ve seen him smoke are filterless cigarettes. but during the years he was flyfishing he combined pipes with fishing, my own guess is that pipesmoking kept mosquitos away, nothern sweden where he loved to go for fishing is famous for the aggresive amounts and behaviour of those damn bloodsuckers :laff:

8. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice pair of heirlooms Thor. I think the carvings on that old Ratos are very nice. As for the meer. the only carver I can think of whose signature comes close would be "Konack" <shrug> Good looker though. Smoke them both with fond memories and in good health.

Linus likes this.
  9. Linus

Linus Member

i sure will, today i brought them to FF-pipes for a bit of TLC before i get started with them, so in about 2 weeks i can get them back =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.