1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The revenge of the cobs!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by hoss, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoss

hoss Member

Well, messin with cobs has proven a downhill slide. (Surprise!) After picking up my first one - a Country Gent from Dave @ Walker - it didn't take long for my resolve to crumble. Next thing i knew there i was, phone in hand, a retailer friend on the other end of the tele...

Here's what arrived via today's post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the tally has grown to 3 in total over the last few weeks, including one briar lookalike (which my brother carved for my birthday). :thumbsd:

[​IMG]

I'm scared to think further of the ramifications of such an invasion. I guess this is the revenge of the cobs for me not paying them enough attention earlier on. So far i've really enjoyed my Country Gentleman, but this freehand is really a nice, solid piece - thick too. I can't stand it any longer! I've got to grab some 50/50 CH/SG brown twist and go give it a shot!

ONE QUICK QUESTION FOR THE FREEHAND EXPERIENCED FOLKS:

[​IMG]

Thanks! I'm off to the patio... :thumbsu:

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

One easy way to really apply some focused pressure at that area is to "whip" it, this is done with a waxed string, nice and neat

Have a look here - this shows the thing, and there's a little "instructions" link!

My link

3. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

hm red letters at the top of the description "these products are no longer available"...

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

You could probably find some at any hardware store worth its salt.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hey some nice pipes there - particularly like the cob lookalike your brother msde for you. You are right about the Freehand; it's agrand smoker but that part of the stem is its weak point. Mine split, but I fixed it with woodglue - whipping's the more elegant answer but I'm just using a zip tie, an idea I got from one of the guys here.

Many Happy Years with the pipes!

Gerry

6. hoss

hoss Member

Not a bad idea. Looks like the easiest solution. I'll kick the idea around and see what the wife might have laying around in her sewing drawers. :hang3:

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Congratz Hoss! You'll get some great "mileage" out of those cobs! I see you've found the MM Freehand's "Achilles Heel"! Yup, it'll split on ya if you push the stem in just a "tad" bit too far. Or accidentally drop the pipe. The stem needs a band similar to your "banded" cob. Or the shank made from a harder wood (Oak, as used in Jake Hackert's cobs), but Jake goes even "one better", he uses a cut mortise-tenon joint where the stem "butts" up against the end of the shank. The MM and Walker bros both use the weaker "tapered tenon" style mortise-tenon joint.

A bit of history: Tom Sawyer used to tie his shanks up with string......you see he suffered from split shanks too!

Like Gerry, I "zip tie" my shank for "immediate" cure/prevention but am looking for a solid ring or something similar to the Walker "banded" type of rig but with the zip tie in place, she smokes fine, no splits, no worries. Sure, it looks a little funky, but as far as cobs are concerned, a little bit funky is ok by me.

Enjoy your cobs! :hang3:

:0laugh:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. thetobaccophile

thetobaccophile Member

just got my first pipes yesterday, all cobs ;-) Really liking the Country Gentleman!

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Great looking smokers. I have a small cooler with at least 7 different cobs and love every one. :cheers:

10. hoss

hoss Member

Interesting. In my quest of pondering "cures" i did consider a little whittling of the tapered bit to do just this. It's one of the only 2 ways i could conceive of taking care of the problem: ( a ) strengthen the shank or ( b ) adjust the fitting of the bit to a different style. Good to know someone has already taken this step. Perhaps i'll look him up on the next one. :cheers:

11. Puff The Magic

Even if you made a "butt-stop" for the tenon and some light whittling of the shank, you're still have a great chance of splitting the shank. Although less of one since the tapered tenon won't go it beyond the butt-stop. That naked taper scares the hell out of me on the naked pine though. Hope MM works this out and kicks up the Freehands a notch or two!

The shank end needs a collar that won't "give" or stretch. Waxed twine may work, but I'd rather have a collar of metal, or a metal ring. The MM shank is pine (very soft) whereas the Hackert shank is oak. The oak combined with the butted mortis-tenon works great! Nice and solid and very strong.

I'd still feel much safer if the oak shank still had a metal band though.

:cheers:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: I've also tried to reinforce the stem end of the shank by saturating it with superglue and let it dry completely. I used a good bit so the shank end was soaked! Well 3 days later, it split again! I was getting ready to go out for a smoke with it to try it out! So, I went to the immediate cure of the zip tie. It works, they're inexpensive, last as long as the pipe (gives me plenty of time to find the right "thing") and I look at it like a "Modern day Tom Sawyer" sort of fix.

Enjoy your cobs from one cobhead to another! Welcome!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

12. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Those are nice pipes, i like the one your bro made it looks really cool. Now i guess i will have to rember this post soon i have my freehand cob in the mail as we speak, and i dont want any splitage so i have more zip ties than i can think of laying around my house so i may go that route, like puff said its a cob its not supposed to be pretty lol.

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I have whipped a thousand mooring lines and, oddly enough, I've recently whipped a pipestem (see $9.00 block Meer- the explding pipe) and a flyswatter paddle onto a stick from Kazakhstan - long story. If you care to bother buying some, use marine whipping cord which is pre-dragged through beeswax, otherwise use a 5- or 6-cord thread; I have spools of it here if you want a few yards.

14. Puff The Magic

Damn Moo! That looks like you can fish with it too! That is "REINFORCEMENT"! I may have to consider doing something like that down the road if this zip tie needs replacement or by a command decision to replace it (by CINC Puff, commander in chief). thanks for sharing your "whippin" capabilities there Moo, tie anyone up lately? :startle: :)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. WillH

WillH Active Member

Geeze! Great minds.

My first repair option was an adjustable hose clamp - got that manly look!

Did this a month ago. Plain ole' string and spar varnish! So far so good.

Will

16. Puff The Magic

Good job Will! The MM Freehands (Standards and CCSS) are such great pipes, large, manly, rugged, nice long smokes. Only complaint I have with them is their wimpy shank-stem joint. I can't believe MM hasn't put a band/collar around that stem-end. ALL of the other MMs do. So why not the Freehands? Oh well, it's a great pipe nonetheless and I enjoy smoking the daylights out of them.

Hmmmmmm, wonder if Hackert would do an Antler'd CCSS? I'll have to check on that.

:wheelchair:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

17. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Looks like a job for...........Duct tape! :thumb:

18. hoss

hoss Member

Thanks for the generous offer, MOOster. I'm sure i'll find SOMETHING between the shop and my wife's sewing supplies that will fit the bill here. I'd really like to put a metal collar on it, but tying it would definitely be easier. A dark thread would probably look good on this one too, since it's got the stained bowl. Either way, thanks again for the offer! :flowers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.