1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The right size bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Nightcap, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

Oct 11, 2011
    In my personal experience, putting a big bold tobacco, in a giant deep bowl, really accentuates the tobacco. As with a more subtle tobacco, having a smaller "more sophisticated" size bowl to smoke out of, really brings out the nuances. This was made very clear to me one day as I was smoking a bowl of some lighter Virginia/Oriential, GL Pease something or other and had never noticed the citrus flavors they talked about until using a smaller bowl. Suddenly there they were. It was like discovering a second moon. The right temperature is also a factor too. Now I smoke all my heavy tobaccos in "Hercules" bowls and my lighter tobaccos in smaller bowls. One day I plan on starting from scratch and buying several Hercules pipes and several smaller Savinelli or Stanwells. (Don't tell my wife!)
    I have so limited my arsenal down to favorites that I JUST NEED MORE OF THE SAME PIPES!
    (You have two pipes exactly the same why do you need a third??? Why now a fourth??? Ehem..... HOW many purses do you own with shoes to match??? (Pissed off silence......))
    Jayson H Bucy, ATXPipe and shadow like this.
  2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Jan 10, 2011
    I'll have to give that a try. Usually I calibrate my bowl size to nicotine content but it sounds like your method is at least worth the "college try". Luckily I'm a member of the (unofficial and unaffiliated) pipesmokersforum.com pipe of the week club, and have accrued meers, falcons, cobs and kaywoodies in everything from a Dunhill size I/II to V so I won't have to go shopping.
  3. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I feel for you! But you can NEVER have enough pipes! There's always one more you might wanna get, even if you're up to your eyeballs in Briar!:D
    As for bowl size it certainly makes sense to dedicate different sizes to different tobaccos.
    I myself keep the smaller bowls just for Flakes and the bigger ones for ribbon cuts.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    The right bowl size = the bigger the better! :D

- DM (Group 6 is Barely Adequate) Kerr.
    Max Gunner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.