The samuel gawith lakelands

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Are all of these listed below considered Lakelands? Did I miss any? (SG products only)
    Grousemoor
    Bracken Flake
    Kendal Cream Flake

2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I've only tried Grousemoor & Bracken Flake. I like both of these. Tell me what you think of Kendal Cream Flake.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've tried both Grousemoor and Bracken Flake, and neither hold a candle to the Lakeland essence on the GH Bob's Chocolate Flake I had last night (which is probably nowhere near as strong as, say, Ennerdale). I'm starting to think that the elder Gawith doesn't even make a Lakeland.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Mayor's Chocolate has a little floral goin' on, but it's subtle. 1792 is extreme.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Did somebody mention Ennerdale? I felt a tremor in the Force.

buistd, Snake, Wicklow and 2 others like this.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

1792 is different to me. Tonquin flavoring is there in spades, but I don't really get the floral/soapy thing from it.

GlassSculptor likes this.
  7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Kendal Cream probably isn't a "lakeland" proper - it has more of a gingerbready sort of topping - not floral at all.

8. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I've found that G&H Lakeland essence's tobacco's is where it's at. That is if you want florals and soapy's

9. Bacek

Bacek Member

Grousemoore - natural vanilla, Kendal Cream - anice, licorice, Ennerdale - lakeland essence. All different animals.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Mington, I might have a recipe where you can melt some Ivory soap with some Grandma's Geranium perfume, and pour it over good toby to give you the flavor you are looking for. :moon:

I like 1792 w/the tonquin bean flavor... no soap or grandma detected. If Kendall Cream tasted like ginger bread, I'd be all over that too, but after the Bob's Chocolate fiasco, I won't trust that enough to buy a tin yet.

Jeebs likes this.
  11. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

You Know, Thats not a bad idea about the ivory and grandma's perfume...

BradNTX likes this.
  12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Don't forget the urinal cakes! :poop:

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Technically all SG products are "Lakeland blends" as Lakeland is a geographic area within wich exists Kendal, where the SG company is based.

That said, I know you're talking about flavorings.

When I think "Lakeland" I don't think Samuel Gawith, I think Gawith and Hoggarth. The flavorings for BB#2, Kendal Flake, Ennerdale Flake, Dark Flake Scented, Bosun Cut Plug....you get the picture. The flavorings are pretty similar among what I've tried, with only minor differences (for instance, Kendal Flake has some almond in there apparently). But among their "scented" offerings, most of the differences lie in how much of the scent they use or the constituent tobaccos. To me it is the quintessential "Lakeland" flavor profile.

Grousemoor is definitely a scented tobacco. I love the stuff, really. But I don't find it very floral at all. Grassy, herbal, meadow-like, citrussy, springy, soapy perhaps.....but it doesn't smell or taste like flowers. It's mostly lemongrass apparently. It's a Lakeland tobacco, and it has a strong and unusual flavor and aroma to it, but it isn't what I'd consider the Lakeland style tobacco as I would think of it. I haven't tried Bracken or Kendal Cream, but it sounds to me like they'd probably be in a similar camp. It's like 1792 in that it's flavored, sure, but it's not soapy and not what most people would call a "Lakeland" tobacco.

(for the record it's in a similar status regarding flavoring as 1792 - the flavoring itself, however, couldn't be more different. I'm not claiming that they taste ANYTHING alike!)

14. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....I refuse to be drawn into this one!:)

nesta, Mington and jpberg like this.
  15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The Lakeland tobaccos are a gardeners dream. You can smoke the flowers (G&H florals) or the dirt (ropes). :xd:

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm more of a dirty guy myself. :oops:

Mington likes this.
  17. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.