The Smoker tins coming to P&C

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Snake, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Received an email from P&C about
    these tins coming available after
    the weekend. Some of these sound
    good enough to try. Just wanted
    to spark some TAD in everyone here.
    Yes, enabler is my middle name. :ohyh:

ETA: not associated with P&C, just
    wanted to enable.

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Was just coming over here to post this. Some of them sound fantastic. New York, New York sounds especially enticing. I'll definitely be trying some of these out. I've never heard of The Smoker or Mel Feldman, but this all sounds quite promising. I'm always excited to hear about new blends coming out.

3. furious

furious Junque collector

Mel is a great fella and ran a first-class operation in The Smoker out of Albany, NY. I have a couple of his pipes in my collection and he is affectionately known to collectors as Mr. Barling. His blends should be a big hit and I can't wait to try several of them.

Mount Mandolin and dBear like this.
  4. MarkinCA

MarkinCA Member

The "Smoker Pipe Tobacco" line will be available on the P&C web site starting Saturday May 4th, which is the same day as the beggining of the Chicago Pipe and Tobacciana Show:bing:

5. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

I was researching their blends earlier after reading the notification, and liked the sound of Pine Hills until I saw it was an aromatic.

Anyone have any experience with the blend? I may just have to try it anyways. The description sounds oh so nice.

6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

I have smoked Legacy and Wise Fox. Both are good, Wise Fox is especially good, burley, Virginia and lat.

7. furious

furious Junque collector

Wise Fox was one of my favorites from Mel. He also had a blend dubbed simply, "The Smoker" that was very good too.

8. furious

furious Junque collector

Just checked and all of Mel's blends are now available for purchase at P&C. Just placed my order!!!

9. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Saratoga and Olde Virginia will be in my next order.

Ron

10. furious

furious Junque collector

Bumped for reviews of any of these blends....

I just cracked some Fireside and Wise Fox and both are very nice American style English blends with top-quality leaf. What makes these unique is the addition of Cavendish, not the syrupy sweet kind though, but the natural minimally adulterated kind similar to what is found in Dunhill's MM965. These are starting to grow on me, esp. Wise Fox for its old time burley flavor interspersed with a nice amount of Cyprian Latakia. The lat is subtle but there and keeps the blend interesting. The Cav gives a touch of sweetness to the mixture. Fireside is more of a traditional English--no burley here--but some Cav and excellent Turkish. Nice change of pace from standard English/Balkan mixtures.

Both are recommended with a slight edge to Wise Fox for uniqueness.

11. mugwump

mugwump Member

I finally got around to trying the sample of Wise Fox I got at Chicago and agree that it's a great Americanized English blend.

12. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I may have to look into this Wise Fox blend...

13. furious

furious Junque collector

After several more bowls of each, I will say that the quality of the component tobaccos is evident; however, the latakia and orientals are more potent in Fireside. I certainly wouldn't smoke it as the first pipe of the day as it more akin to Nightcap than EMP in overall flavor profile. Wise Fox is very interesting as it is a blend of burley, two types of natural Cavendish, and Cyprian latakia. Not for someone seeking mild to medium blends to be sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.