The T.A.D. Killing Bender

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Would that be the plug or the "aromatic" ?

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

The tinned. I have a couple of pounds of the plug, but it's nothing at all like the tinned, pre-shredded stuff.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Those classic OTC's often get credit that they don't deserve. They're often derided by snobs who have either never actually tried any of these classics, or try to hold these blends to a standard they were never created to satisfy. On the flip-side, they are often held to unrealistically high standards by codgers who have never tried anything else. They were designed to be affordable, all days tobaccos and they work very well in this capacity. While I love these old classics (especially Granger, SWRA, and Cherry Blend) and enjoy these blends throughout the week, I don't think that they can hold a candle to blends like LTF, Cubed Burley, ABF, Club Blend, or quite a few of the other "luxury" blends. Then again, they were never intended to do so. The strength of any of those classic OTC's lies in their unsophisticated nature, and they're pretty hard to beat if you just want a bowl of pleasant and no fuss pipe tobacco.

Wicklow, Smokey and Lestrade like this.
  4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

RTO, that says it all! :puffy:

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Being a fairly new pipe smoker (3 yrs) I can see this too. I'm getting to the point where I could see myself being happy with 8-10 blends stocked up high in the cellar and being totally content.

6. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I'm entirely too new at pipe smoking to get too attached to a particular blend like that as there's a whole new world of endless tobaccos and flavors and pipes for me to try out, with the only thing limiting me being my meager tobacco budget.. Luckily a couple of friends of mine on another forum were kind enough to broaden my horizons with such blends as Dunhil'ls Nightcap, and Peterson's University Flake, and Irish Flake, as well as a couple flakes of Erinmore.. But believe me when I tell you this.. Payday just isn't coming fast enough! LMAO... Heck, I'll be completely outta pipe tobacco within the next few days... HURRY UP PAYDAY!

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

I had that With OGS. Bought a 50 g tin and thought this was great. Bought 10 100g tins and was in heaven. I smoked this almost exclusively for many months. It was easy to light, nice to smoke, and I wanted to get everything I could out of the tobacco. I have 2 tins left out of the 10. I figured I would let these age for a while and smoke some of the other stuff that I had acquired whilst acquiring more. I recently cleaned out my work truck and stumbled on a tin of OGS that had a bowl or two left in it. I loaded her up and had wonderful smoke, it was better than the 8 prior tins put together. I won't open these last tins of this leaf for a while, unless I buy some more. But I have had a good time going through the 'cellar' as of late.

8. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

PS English Luxury is hitting all the right notes for me right now. I'm having to force myself to smoke a couple of bowls of other blends because in my head I think I'll get tired of PSEL and I don't want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.