The Unbiased Truth About Carter Hall

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by DGErwin11, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin

Robin Member

This thread moved me to give CH a try, and I must agree, it is a very fine smoke! It's smoother than the PA I smoke in my cobs, and would make a fine every day tobacco. I do enjoy a little variety, but if it was all I could get I'd still love my pipe!

whitebriar and Artistik like this.
  2. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I've been keeping a tobacco journal of sorts. For Carter Hall I wrote that it is a 3 star tobacco, but it is SUCH A SOLID 3 stars that it is tough to no love it.

Robin likes this.
  3. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

I realize that the point of this thread was to deflate some of the Internet hype over CH. That said, two things have occurred to me during the reading.

1). I have a fresh pouch of CH sitting inside right now

2). Once I finish this bowl I'm on the bike and up to the mart to get another. Don't wanna be without ;-)

4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Not so much to deflate, as to bring expectations into line with reality.

Robin likes this.
  5. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

CH is the next Penzance! Shortages are coming, buy it while it's still available!!!!!

6. DGErwin11

Boy, you are really pushing your luck today.

Smokey Tom and psquared like this.
  7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I have some Carter Hall in my "cellar" (it's really a large free-standing cabinet). I smoke some of it every couple of months, just to see if maybe I'll like it. The most recent time was last night. I still don't really like it. You're in no danger from me, Doug.

8. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have read through this thread and as some on the site know as I have said a couple of times my father was a OTC guy. He would try many tobaccos and always back to his favorite OTC.
    I won't get into that brand but wanted to interject about the OTC tobaccos. I as any have a soft spot for them as my father, grandfather, and great grandfather all smoked pipes. In those pipes they always had their favorite OTC's--very rarely did they spend money on anything fancy--now and again they would but ALWAYS right back to their OTC's.
    Well I have tried many myself--don't always prefer them but there is something to be said about the beloved Carter Hall.
    Yes I said it--"beloved"--I have a soft spot for it because I really do believe as far as OTC blends go---well its a darn good smoke for what it is.
    The Burley is just that--a subtle no nonsense tobacco that can be smoked over & over. It never misbehaves or bites for me. Its been around for a long time--I believe since 1853--theres a reason for that---its a American Burley that I think most pipe smokers have tried and for most when they want a simple no nonsense Burley pipe tobacco---well folks this is it--an American icon in pipe tobacco.
    I usually always have a pouch or two around--granted I like other tinned, and house blends from places but good ol' Carter Hall--a staple thats like an old friend.
    I guess now that I have typed this and admitted to smoking it----WELL--I'm off to fire up another pipe full of it to finish up some outdoor work.

Spuddaddy, Robin and Ephraim like this.
  9. DGErwin11

Good. It is not for evrrybody.

psquared, Mount Mandolin and Ephraim like this.
  10. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

CH is such a creamy, smooth and cool smoke. Hints of chocolate and nuts in the flavor. The pouch smells of rich dark chocolate to me.
    Some people will find it bland, and compared to blends full of Latakia and Perique it is. But I actually prefer it's straightforward taste to most English type blends, and others do as well. I wonder, is that shocking? To actually prefer a cheap and basic tobacco over a pricey and fancy one? Perhaps :)
    I have no problem saying I love Carter Hall.

11. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

You taste all that stuff in CH? Damn, and I thought I had a fairly well developed palate, lol. And you know, I don't compare it to blends full of Latakia and Perique, because that would be an unfair comparison. I'm a big Virginia fan, especially VA flakes like FVF, Astley's 44, etc, and VaBur flakes like Reiner LGF and Solani Silver. So, unfair comparison that it is, that would be the comparison I'd make, if any.

But I take CH for what it is: simple, no-frills, reliable, etc. I'm just more of an SWR guy.

Ozark Nick and Ephraim like this.
  12. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I actually prefer SWR over Carter Hall as well, and I frequently alternate those 2 blends throughout the day. I'm also a big Virginia fan, and ideally a straight Va would be in my rotation between SWR and CH. Its been a while since I stocked up on Virginias (not sure why), but I have an order of McClelland 5100 on the way that I hope I like enough to put in my rotation.

Yeah, I really do get a chocolate taste and aroma from CH :) Whereas I find SWR to be slightly nuttier, earthy, and a little tangy. For me CH is smoother than SWR, which I find to be a bit "edgier". But its the fuller body I get from SWR that makes it my preference, slightly, over CH when it comes to Burley.
    Love them both though :)

You're right that Burleys shouldn't really be compared to English-style blends, as they are completely different. Yet I think that some people who smoke Latakia-heavy English blends will find Burleys such as CH and SWR to be a little boring. They may also find most Virginias to be a little boring as well. Of course, not everyone is like that but I do know a couple.
    Kinda funny, after all these years of smoking everything I could find, I now have a preference for more or less straight tobaccos: Burley and Virginia.
    Happy Burley/Virginia smoking :puffy:

Robin, kb7get and Mount Mandolin like this.
  13. Robin

Robin Member

The more of the CH I smoke, the better I like it, picked up another pouch friday. If I don't find an OTC that really blows me away, I'm gonna buy a few tubs of CH to put in my "doomsday" supply closet. It's a good honest smoke, I rank it slightly ahead of SWR, and a good bit above PA, both of which are fine in and of themselves.
    My local guy has Velvet, half n half, SWRA, and a few others I've either not tried, or not had in years, I'll smoke a pouch of 'em all, just to give 'em a shot. The only thing I can say I really don't care for that I've had lately is CBW , too "perfumey" for me. YMMV

psquared likes this.
  14. jdto

jdto Active Member

In a cob this is just amazing. It really is a great combination.

Robin and bubbagump like this.
  15. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. Cob or meer + CH = :drly:

jdto and Robin like this.
  16. Robin

Robin Member

Totally agree, a MM was made to burn CH, very good smoke combo! :)

jdto likes this.
  17. chud333

chud333 Member

It might just be me but the aftertaste is oatmeal. It smoked very well stayed lit like a champ. Tasted ok not really my cup o tea. Does anyone else taste the oatmeal.

AustinLM likes this.
  18. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

I never tasted the oatmeal, but doesn't everyone like some oatmeal for breakfast sometimes?
    Nothing is good or bad for all of us equally, smoke watcha like and like watcha smoke!
    The heck with naysayers;)

Wildcat and chud333 like this.
  19. chud333

chud333 Member

Gonna stick it in a mason jar and try it again later. Tastes change and I don't like wasting good tobacco. :)

Thuber88 likes this.
  20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Sugar Barrel tastes a bit like oatmeal, and to me SB taste a bit like CH.

Wildcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.