1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

There. Are. Too. Many.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LostDog13, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

I have been ordering tins here and there and getting suggestions between the two forums I'm active in, and today as I put in an order at P&C for here (an ounce of Destinguished Penguin, Pirate Kake, and an ounce of Night Train) and then an order shipped home (Gettysburg, Carter Hall, Devil's Holiday, and Man's Best Friend) I realized that there are simply too many baccies in this world. I am trying to have a bunch of different ones to try and single in on exactly what I like and that way I can cellar a small number of blends and have an everyday blend. So far I have found that I love VA/VaPer blends, latakia (although still trying to find the limits to that), and at least the SG Lakelands (1792, FVF). So far the only two burleys I've smoked (Scottys butternut burley and H&H classic burley kake) I have loved, but not sure how any of these cellar.

Oh well, it's a fun ride; but I'm just about at the end of ordering various stuff and about to narrow down what I'll order more than one tin of in the future. I guess a cellar can get filled with too many options. I guess I'm just starting to look at it and want a larger amount of quality as opposed to variety. I know doing this I'll miss out on a bunch of good blends, but it is impossible to try them all. Now to order more jars and get ready to buy bulk :D

How do ya'll set up your cellar, or do you have a couple jars of everything?

2. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

No such thing as too much! :p: If you like thirty blends and want to always have some on hand, go for it! Though I'm sure you'll find a few you just can't live without, so to speak.

Really, if you buy a tin now, and find you don't like it, offer it as a trade. Someone might, and they might offer you a tobacco you absolutely love but have never tried. Trades are great ways to get new blends to try, and offload blends that don't float your boat.

I've got jars of many blends right now, and a couple jars of a few blends. Lots of stuff in tins.

3. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

My Cellar has only 5 blends in it but they are ones i smoke all the time once inawhile i will order something different but i stick with the same couple blends. Once i find something i like i get a couple tins of it.

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

:sh:
    I guess it's one of those things where I like to try different things, but would like to have a known enjoyment around all the time as well. Sort of like the baccy equivalent of JD. I usually have different whiskeys, but always have some type of JD as well. It's just a matter of finding that JD to keep around. Perhaps zeroing in on 4 or 5 blends to jar up a bunch of, and then get tins of a bunch of different blends to keep around for when I want something different. I don't know; overwhelmed this morning

5. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I think you are on the right track just need as you put it to find that JD that is your go to. For me its H&H Namaste very mild. Just recent i picked up a tin of Germains Plum Cake and fell in love so i picked up 5 more to stash. But i also have a pound of namaste and 7seas black these are my smoke reg. baccos.

Artistik likes this.
  6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Like Imrandy, I found my everyday smoke and keep plenty of it around. I have a couple of tubs of CH in my cellar but, at my age, I'm not looking at a decade of aging. I always keep a jar of a couple of Boswell's aros around for a change up and usually have a tin or two of something new to me to sample on weekends or vacation. It really helps to find what you like and focus on that for your cellar IMHO.

LostDog13 likes this.
  7. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I fell in love with Butternut Burley back in 2005. I wanted to order five pounds more to jar but had heard the same concerns. I contacted Russ and he assured me it would hold up fine. I've got a pint open now that was jarred up in 2006. It's a little milder than I remember but very very smooth. I'd say Russ was correct in his advice.

LostDog13 likes this.
  8. Prof

Prof Member

I have been in the same boat. I have probably close to a hundred blends of various amounts, just trying everything...many small samples from box passes, trades and such. Quite a few from pipe get togethers where someone will pull out a blend and pass it around. I then look at tobacco reviews, suggestions here, and I have developed a baseline of blends I like and I try to obtain blends that are similar to those for various reasons. I jar everything, and have more bits than I know what to do with. The wife is patient, and buys most of my "zombie apocalypse" cellaring excuses, or at least doesn't openly ridicule me.

Snake, LostDog13 and SouthBound like this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've got way to many blends in the " cellar " . They are all good blends for sure . I hate to be a poo pooer , trust me , I'm rolling my eyes at myself . But I think everone should figure what 5 blends they really really like and bulk up on them now . I really have a gut feeling that pipe tobacco is gonna get a huge tax added to it within a year or few [ once theyve done whatever theyre gonna do abouts guns and painkillers / It depends on where it falls on the list ] . I hope I'm wrong and that we wake up one day and all polititicians are smoking pipes and thinking like rational people . If I could afford to , I'd buy 1 or 5 lb bags of 5 blends and put it up ... then I'd play around . I've been at in backwards cause money is an issue ...... it's fun as heck though . Any newer pipe smoker is gonna try stuff , it's part of the joy of it all and it's super cool . All I'm saying is dont take a couple years to figure out your favorites and bulk up . Worst case , you got a bunch of your favorites and if the times change and theres no worry , then you'll have plenty to do trades with .

10. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Pretty much where I think I'm at. I have a bunch of different ones to try in a few months, and have some stuff here to try and figure out where I'm at. A couple of blends that I know I really like and want to cellar as soon as I can. Currently have 12 8oz and 12 4 oz jars at the house to fill, and plan to add another 12 8 oz and 24 4 oz to that so I can order a couple of lbs of stuff just before I head out.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

So true! :ohyh:

I've probably tried over 200 blends, and still have many, many more I wouldn't mind trying. I also know there are more blends in the "I haven't tried" category that I will never get to than I will at this point.

I don't know if I agree with a cellar having too many options. My strategy has been to bulk up in various stages. Blends I can't live without, I try to purchase in pounds and would like to have 3 - 5 lbs of each. Blends I really enjoy, I try to have a pound of in the cellar. Then I buy 1 - 3 tins to put away, to be opened over time, to have new stuff to try if tobacco gets crazy in the future- either taxes or outlawed.

I have 61 blends that total 25 lbs in the cellar now. Only 14 are targeted for a pound or more, and the rest fall into the smaller quantities bucket. I'm shooting for 50 - 60 lbs before the end of 2013, but we shall see how that goes.

Snake, SouthBound and PipeSimmo like this.
  12. Johnny

Johnny Member

I stocked with aging in mind. My cellar consists of mostly Virginia or VA/Pers from SG, GH or Stokkebye. I have a few Latakia blends and Burley to smoke too. My favorite Virginia, I have around five pounds of and some stuff is just for a change of pace. Most of my smoking currently is all over the place but I'm waiting patiently to try some ten or twenty year aged FVF

StubrnDutchman and BradNTX like this.
  13. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

I had a bunch of little jars with blends I knew I'd never really want to smoke again (nothing bad, just not my favorites), so I sent them to some new guys. I cleaned out my cellar, and they got new blends to try. I should probably do that again soon. I'm trying to stock up on a few of my favorites, but am still trying new blends as well.

14. Prof

Prof Member

Agreed, I need to clear out too...I will open up a thread soon, I think...or throw them all into a box pass...

JRobert likes this.
  15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm cellaring deeper than I
    am wider these days. Find
    some blends you like, then
    buy as much as the budget
    allows!!!! If the selection
    out there withstands the
    anti's, then try some new
    blends. Cellar first!!!!!!!

StubrnDutchman, JimInks and krusty like this.
  16. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

I am planning on cellaring some Escudo, 1792, Frog Morton <OTB and FMC especially>, and H&H Anni kake. I have a few blends in on the way here to test out, and then decide which of those I really like (if any) to purchase in bulk just before I leave here so that I'll beat them home or get home within a day or two of their arrival to jar them up. I figure I'll be able to jar up a bunch of those and have plenty to smoke in the meantime while they age. I can still check out tins of stuff here and there and leave the majority of that stuff to age over the next few years.

Thank you all for your replies and helping me get a grasp on this so that it isn't so overwhelming.

BradNTX likes this.
  17. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

Buying 5 lbs at a time, 25lb cellars. Wow. I feel... inadequate... with only a dozen or so tins. :loser:
    Maybe I can blame that on my just-in-time inventory training.

18. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Get some Escudo and cellar a bunch!:D

19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I absolutely agree. I just wish I could limit my blends to 5 choices. I am trying to focus though.

20. Prof

Prof Member

My problem is that I keep going back to blends that I didn't like initially, like Club Blend (had a brilliant bowl today), and my pad keeps getting bigger...those initial Aros are what I feel most like dumping...anyone want some three blind moose?

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.