1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

There have to be another way

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Alfredo, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alfredo

Alfredo New Member

Hi there you guys,

I have read several times and I have done it several times that the best way to clean the ring of your pipe is rubbing it with a Q-tips and saliva....Please tell me that there is another way. I have done it but I have some issues. First it is embarrassing :( when people is around me so I have to hide my face when doing it:haha:. Second I am kind of delicate (girly delicate:( ) with my mouth, so I have to confess that sometimes I gag:laff:. And third it is disgusting. Please, there have to be another way. Any ideas?

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I use red wine and a q-tip, beer might be good to... the alcohol does seem to help, but wine does not have so much that it kills the finish (on my pipes). Be careful, different pipes have different finishes, I don't want to see you mess up your rim.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I use Pledge furniture polish. The new formula removes carbon great. I'm just careful not to get it in the bowl. I usually spray a small amount on a rag and go from there.

Stonewall, shadow and SmokeyJoe like this.
  4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I just lick my thumb and give the rim a rub.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

.....is it worth getting banned for saying what I'm thinking?

Stonewall, Ted Vig, BigJ and 5 others like this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Don't do it... :eek:

7. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

Don't do it. Even without saying it you made me laugh.

My advice on the rim cleaning is "get over it" it's just spit and your spit at that. I know that probably sounds more mean than I mean for it to but I can't think of any other way to say it. So just know I meant no offense with it.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Okay...in that case, I tend to find pretty good results with just slightly wetting a napkin with some saliva and wiping down the rim of the bowl.....sometimes I do this several times (always with a clean part of a napkin/paper towel/whatever) until it comes clean enough for my liking. But mostly I just spend my time not worrying about it.

9. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I knew as I was typing it that someone was gonna go there. But I decided I'd let it happen and see where things land. Glad to see that the guys here are a cut above the rest.

dwaugh likes this.
  10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

We're really not. Simply quieter than the rest.

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I do the following:
    on new pipes right from the very beginning--NEVER have tobby right to the top of the brim of the bowl.
    Use matches, or a soft flame so as not to scorch the top of the bowl.
    ALWAYS as you smoke----the VERY minute you see that mess at the top of the pipe--EVEN--just a little--wet your finger in your mouth, and wipe it off.
    On pipes that are platuae tops---I make sure to keep a wax coating BEFORE I begin my smoking---other wise----well they get messy, and hard to clean. I tend to never have tobby packed in the pipe close to the top, but as I smoke I may take my wet finger, and go around it.
    On my cheap work pipes, well I let it rip, and smoke like no tomorrow---they get kinda ugly after a while---cobs for work----they end up trashed after a while.

12. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

WHAT? :puke:

Dutchking22 likes this.
  13. qwik

qwik Member

Had a few get black, I wet rim gave it a few then paper towel over bowl pushing fat part of thumb in bowl rim while spinning bowl. repeat.Cleaned up real nice. rub on little wax if needed

14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Alfredo, if you are getting the taste of the gunk on the rim of your pipe in your mouth you are doing something wrong. If the gunk is really bothering you when you are out and about, just take a paper napkin, moisten it with a little water and wipe off the rim.

15. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

If you guys are talking about thr char on the rim, I leave it there. Want my pipes to look used, not pretty. I buy 'em to smoke, not to look pretty

dgerwin11 likes this.
  16. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I use Q-tips and booze. I'm careful to avoid getting the alcohol on the bowl and stripping the pipe's finish.

17. mad goose

mad goose Member

Olive oil and a cotton ball works great on the rim and the rest of the pipe. Makes em look brand new and is recommended.

18. Alfredo

Alfredo New Member

Awesome guys, lots of great ideas as always this is by far the best pipe forum ever.

19. Hudson

Hudson Member

Despite the fact that yesterday was April Fool's Day, at least in the USA, (don't know about cyberspace), I think this advice is spot-on.

Confusing the issue, of course, is the oil pulling thread going on in the other room that proposes a slightly different use for olive oil. Although I guess it does eventually become spit, so perhaps a fortified version is available. Pledge is sounding better and better.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  20. shadow

shadow Active Member

Pledge is a new one to me! Have to try it out! Cheers for that!:toast:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.