1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

There's always one in the bunch

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Just wondering...

Does anyone else have that one pipe in their collection that teeters on the edge of being excommunicated from the club, for whatever reason, poor design, aesthetics, slurppy, etc.

One that, when you look at your collection, sticks out like some distant relative who shows up uninvited to your backyard bbq, all smelly and disheveled....

I have an unmarked Italian pipe, that I'm sure at one time was a beautiful pipe, and I can't even remember how I obtained it. I'm certain it was part of a lot, purchase.

I've taken it out of my collection and threw it into a drawer several times only to return it. It was almost to the point where I was going to dig up an old REM cd, the one with the *everybody hurts* trak, and drive to the bridge in the middle of the night to toss it to its end...

But still...I hang on to it.

I did a salt treatment to it last night. At least now it smells better.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have one that is just about my favorite in terms of appearance, but has never been satisfactory in terms of how it smokes. It just gets wet. I've done a pipe mud treatment, and I've been ever so patiently smoking just a little out of it every week or two. I currently have some nice tobacco I haven't had in a long time out on the plate to dry a bit before smoking it in said pipe. It's a nice Bjarne freehand sitter, and I'd be sad if it doesnt eventually start smoking well. Ah well, it's not too portable anyway, worst case scenario it never straightens out and just gets smoked when I have a place to smoke indoors and can afford to run a cleaner or two through it mid-smoke. Hopefully it will be getting better, though, but I haven't smoked it enough since adding the pipe mud to the bottom (it was drilled slightly high) to really know if it will make a big difference.

On the other hand, my butt-ugliest briar is one of the better smokers I have.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

At this point I don't have any in my racks that smoke terribly, though I do have a couple of old seconds, off-brands, and one old basket pipe that are stashed away somewhere and don't get smoked. One is an old unfinished "Irish Seconds" (Peterson, I believe) full bent with a tiny bowl. I have little recollection of how it smokes, though in years past I drug it out for a bowl of 1792 when I didn't want a big pipeful. The basket pipe is a known gurgler and is drilled horribly. Ugly, too. Oldest pipe I still have from the early days, though, so it probably isn't going anywhere, if only for sentimental reasons.

In the racks, I have a Savinelli full bent Oscar Lucite that is neglected often, but only because I don't really like full bent pipes. Smokes well enough, though.

Herb

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have an SMS meerschaum that was a birthday gift from an old friend. It's a full bent, and looks cool enough, but it gurgles and burns hot pretty badly. I wouldn't toss it because I'd be afraid he would notice it was gone. I wish it smoked better, but it doesn't. I save it for cooler weather, and smoke fairly dry tobacco in it 1-2 times per year.

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have a box of pipes that are not in my racks for various reasons, I don't think there are any terrible smokers in there, but there are some that I'm just not so in love with. There are pipes that just aren't good looking to me, good looking and smoking pipes with one fill too many, funky mortise/tenon designs, pressed meers, and a couple NIB vintage pipes that I'm just not ready to burn yet, as well as a couple of cobs and clays that I'm saving for a rainy day.

I hang on to these guys because they'll either look better to me later, wind up in a box pass or trade, become gifts to new pipers, or it will just be time to burn them some day.

6. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

I have a Ser Jacopo Calabash styled pipe that I purchased new. I love the look of the pipe and, in general I REALLY like Ser Jacopos... but this guy just doesn't let any tobacco taste its best... Whether it be a VA or an English or anything else... I just haven't found the right tobacco for it ... everything is very Blah.... it smokes well - just poor taste.

I may do a salt treatment at some point and start again with a VA and see how it goes.

Spillproof likes this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I got one of those old old WDC pipes in a fitted case .. ya know , with the gold around the rim etc ... I smoked it once and it was fine but I havent smoked it since and dont see myself wanting to get around to it . But it looks cool

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

There's a cob I have that seems to be a bit nasty.. I think it's time to throw it in the fire..

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I have had many and then I discovered eBay!

10. Puffer Pete

Puffer Pete Member

I had one that I loved the look and feel of, a vintage Pete' 301, and it smoked well too. It was just SOOOO smelly, smelling and tasting of rotten cabbage. Reamed almost back to the wood (using a sanding drum on a Dremel, and little rounded grinding ball for the bottom of the bowl), soaking the bowl in brandy and rebuilding the cake a little improved it to the point it was a nice pipe. Unfortunately, I just could get the wife's initial comments out of my mind, so sold it on. A pity, because by then it was a really nice pipe.
    Currently, my least favourite is an almost new 309 star system Pete'. It's just too hard to draw well. The brass fitment restricts the draw, but even with it removed it's still harder to draw than any other pipe I have.

Pete

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I have a Savinelli Autograph that is perhaps the ugliest pipe I've ever seen. I haven't sold it because I would not wish its grotesque-ness upon anyone. It made Autograph grade simply because it is large and unblemished but when they were trying to decide what shape to make it, the block apparently pushed the carver to something unbecoming.

It also developed a very loose stem. I had tightened stems by smoking the pipe and that had always worked. The only way this one tightened is for me NOT to smoke it for a couple of months. In other words, the wood behaves rather differently than it should. I think it's possessed.

But it's a good smoker and it's big enough for me. So I keep it, even though it's mother will never claim it.

12. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I have some hopeless gurglers and/or overheaters, a few of which are lovely and were not cheap. I wouldn't give them to anyone I know and, in fact, I can't make myself sell them either. They sit in the basement, tried, tried again, chanted over and, finally, rejected and unloved. The three best looking worst performers are stamped Catterall (1) and Huhn (2), by the way. There. I finally said it.

(Possibly the lowest-expectation pipe I ever bought was the absurdly large Yanik cabbage meer; it went above and beyond, smoking like a dream. Go figure. Ya picks yer pipes and ya takes yer chances.)

Spillproof likes this.
  13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Several years ago one of my pipes got stolen from my office. Since then I take only the pipes to work that would not be considered a loss if they got lost, stolen or broken. Also, I don't take my favorite pipes fishing, hunting or sailing so my least desirable pipes do get used.

14. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Yeah, I have a Pete Billiard that is as uncomfortably moist as an escaped geriatric.
    It looks great, but smokes sub-standard.

I also have a Savinelli Churchwarden that was drilled too far under the stem hole, and consequently produces dottle, but it still smokes better than that Pete.

Dutchking22 likes this.
  15. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Mine is a broken Grabow. It used to be the last pipe I smoked before the Girlfriend dumped me....

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

In the past, I only knew there were expensive pipes; and inexpensive pipes. Since coming to this forum, I've learned a great deal about pipes that burn hot, wet, and those that simply smoke poorly. Regardless of manufacturer, or cost.

I've been re-evaluating my humble collection the past few days; and out of approximately 40 pipes...I can foresee many making their way to the selling block. I've started to noticed the gurglers, hot-boles, and ones that frankly smoke like $5 pipes.

Thanks to all for the responses.

17. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well, I've got a Tinsky that has been chapping my arse since day 1. It's a grp 4 blasted bent billiard. Really a georgeous pipe. When I got it, I remarked that it had no "vibe" - it was drilled okay, no fit or fitment issues, just blah. It has gurgled since day one, for no damn reason. Day one was a couple of years ago, and I've smoked this thing alot trying to figure it out, to no avail. The gurdle can now be minimized, but only with more effort on my part than should be necessary.
    I have been on the edge of pitching this thing on several occasions.

18. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Or here, but Pictures would be of help.

19. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I had a SerJacopo Calabash that drove me to fits. Traded it away with my full disclosure that I hated it (*sure was pretty though, and taken greedily by the other party).

I have a couple of my earliest PSO's (Pipe Shaped Objects ) that don't sit right, look right, or smoke right.
    I literally wouldn't give them to my worst enemy, if I had one.

20. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Those and the one that have gotten ratty from use and lack of care are what would be nice to see(those skeletons in the closet)
    :)

I can tell that some of mine breathe easier when I smoke them, but I am not sure if I would truly notice a bad pipe from smoking it, unless I could not draw through it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.