1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

thinking about a churchwarden

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by newfiebull, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newfiebull

newfiebull Member

so what is the difference in a churchwarden and any other i know the look but i mean as to how it smokes and the amount that can be put in it?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Most wardens are pretty small. The "big name" commercial ones are, at any rate, including Peterson and STanwell. Sav makes some bigger ones.

There are a couple of GIGANTIC warden type pipes, handmade Kaywoodies, at Park Lane, last I looked. 3" tall sorta units.

Really, a churchwarden smokes marginally cooler than other pipes because of the length of the stem, but the may also gurgle a bit because of condensation issues with that cooling. In all honesty, I don't find them much different, except that they are a pain in the ass because they are so long.

But to each his own.

3. newfiebull

newfiebull Member

i just think they look cool and kinda leprachony

4. erickghint

erickghint Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

If made by a reputable carver/manufacturer then I can't see them being bad smokers, but they do seem like a pain in the ass so I've steered clear. You've got to figure out what to do with it while your smoking and make sure to have a supply of those extra long churchwarden cleaners on hand.

6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I got a churchwarden because I thought they looked cool and I could pull of the wizardly-wise man look with it. Truth be told it's not a bad smoke but a PITA due to the length of the stem and how you have to hold it. I do like clenching mine to get weird looks. It's just barely bent so it sticks out like Pinocchio's nose after a stint in public office. I also like using the stem to point when I'm talking or poke people to get their attention. It's a great pipe for annoying people.

If you get a churchwarden, there are several that offer two stems: one normal and one warden stem. You might try that so you can get down to a normal length if you get tired of managing the full length. Stanwell has a line called the Hans Christian Andersen churchwardens that offer two stems: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/stanwell/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=62665

7. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

I always thought a churchwarden would be near impossible to clinch and hard on your teeth to boot...
    <typing this while clinching a danish freehand....sheesh....>
    :thumbsd:

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

One additional consideration is the Brebbia "Twin". It has a stem that is in two sections and if you want to smoke a standard length pipe, just use the bit piece. If you want cw length, use the extension in addition. The Brebbia "Twin" comes in several different shapes and finishes, the acrylic is top grade "eye-tallion" and the pipes clock in ~$100. I really prefer the "Twin" over the other styles of cw pipes due to the fact you can break it down to fit a normal pipe bag, much less fragile that way, and you don't need the extra long pipe cleaners (made for churchwardens) that usually cost a premium over regular lengths.

The smoke? Well, it's not a "car pipe"! It's a find yourself a nice slow uninterrupted moment in your life and surroundings and enjoy! I enjoy smoking mine and I have both styles (as mentioned above and ones with a single stem). Nice "lazy" comfortable smoke. Cooler? Maybe but not very noticable, that always depends on how fast and hard you draw.

:hang3:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. thetobaccophile

thetobaccophile Member

I thinking about one of the Forever Stems in a churchwarden length with my MM Country Gentleman. Should let me know how I feel about the CW length stem without a lot of $. Just a thought.

10. rodobobthebrit

rodobobthebrit Member

I've got a churchwarden, the bowl is the smallest of all my pipes, though it doesn't detract from the enjoyment. It smokes cool. I love it but it does gurgle.

Get one! :thumbsu:

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

So far I have one. It's an Armellini I purchased as an estate pipe from
    RMDpipes.com (51Flgoose).

It's a great smoker for a sit down smoke. The bowl resembles a beer keg I think and is good size. If I smoke it too hot it will gurgle some, but that's a problem with the way I smoke not the pipe.

[​IMG]

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

That's a really good idea. For trial purposes there doesn't appear to be anything cobs can't do.

13. Puff The Magic

I have a Forever Stem CW stem for "unfiltered" pipes and it works extremely well with the MM Patriot and the older style Mini-cobs and Mini-ozarks. Forever Stems really changes the way a cob "feels" in the mouth, none of that "cheap plastic" sensation in you mouth, just quality acrylic that goes along with the quality smoke cobs yield. Don't forget to give the Forever Stem Vulcanite stems too, they ROCK! Real classy!

:cheers:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. CBR

CBR Member

Hey Puff, I'm thinking of a Forever Stem, can you tell me what your take is on the differences between acrylic and vulcanite stems? Feel, clenchabilty, oxidation?

On the topic of CWs, I've got a Stanwell Hans Christian and with the CW stem attached it's perfect for watching TV and having a smoke. The only drawback with this pipe is that it was stained with a red stain and if it's handled with moist/sweaty hands the stain will make your fingers red (it seems to be a problem that others who own this pipe also have). Other than that it's a nice pipe to have.

15. Puff The Magic

Sure CBR, I'd be glad to give my 3-cents......

Feel The acrylic bit/stem feels like any other acrylic bit and feels like it belongs on a much more expensive pipe, same for the vulcanite but naturally, vulcanite is "gentler" on the teeth. Gone is the "chewed up soda straw" feel from a stock MM stem that's given numerous bowlfuls of enjoyment. Now if you like chewing on your straws, then the stock stem maybe a keeper. I still smoke a few cobs that have stock MM stems and they smoke nice but the stem still does end up getting "chewed up" after a while and that is a rough feeling in the mouth.

Clenchability Just as clenchable as any other stem, just solid, not the "chewy soft plastic" of the stock stem.

Oxidation Acrylic doesn't oxidize much at all, easy to clean and looks nice. The vulcanite is like any other vulcanite stem, needs more maintenance because it does oxidize especially if you expose it to sunlight while smoking (direct and hours of). The vulcanite Forever Stems I have are not showing oxidation yet but I do expect them to do so down the road. It does appear to be a high grade as opposed to the cheaper more easy to oxidize vulcanites.

Nice thing about the vulcanite stems is that their shape is so "Danish" and to see it on a cob is just a "Hey, WOW! That's so cool!", I'll have to grab a pic of mine and load it here. Just a great combo, Danish Style on a Cob! Whoaaah! What's next?!

I do recommend giving the "$4 option" by modding a MM Freehand Stem to fit regular MM Filtered cobs...........it's just what the Dane Egg & Spool cry out for and works very well on ALL of the filtered cobs (best on the bent styles).

:wheelchair:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.