1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Thinking about a clay pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Greatwall, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I am thinking about getting a clay pipe just to try it out. I have Briars and a cob but no clays and I cant afford a Meer yet. What are your thoughts and if you know of a good place to get them from let me know.

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I haven't seen much of him lately, and I don't know if he takes consignments, but PSF member Darkly makes some clays from time to time.
    Maybe shoot him a PM.

Professor likes this.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

4. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I was looking into them but their shipping is almost as much as the pipe itself.

5. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

Very fragile and IMO kinda lame...
    Historical, but better technology came along.
    Every time I tried to buy one it arrived broken!
    They can get a bit hot when fired up.

6. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Good to know. Thanks for your experience!

7. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

I gotta a tavern I would send you, but I wouldn't know how to pack it LOL.
    It was carried to me in a car from Virginia. I am afraid to pick it up!

8. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

In a box with bubble wrap, packing penuts or newspaper crumpled up.

9. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

I ordered twice on eBay. Both times well wrapped, but broken!
    Briar rules.
    Meer.. if you really wanna to give them a shot. I don't care much for how they assemble. Too much plastic.
    Briar is best... I'm just saying!

10. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I am sure it is. I am just trying to broaden my horizons.

11. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

12. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

13. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

Vintage brother... vintage!

14. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

15. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I think I will hold of buying a clay until I can find one in the wild. Shipping cost irritate me.

16. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Good friend of mine who got me back into smoking a pipe uses a clay and loves it! I myself call them lip burners only tryed it once dont care to try it again ill stick to my meers

17. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I have a couple clays, and I enjoy them very much.
    They smoke a lot like a Meerschaum, bacci flavor stays true.
    They get very hot:eek: do not use your finger as a tamper, learned that the hard way:(
    The stems are long to give you someplace to hold them, dont bother with too short a pipe.
    The are fragile, so they dont travel well and you cannot clench them.
    You clean them by baking them in a fire.

I got one of these and I'm very happy with it. the swirls in the clay give it a nice look.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colonial-Go...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337dd15f5c

18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Honestly if you're going to buy a clay, buy two. Three even. They're cheap, frankly. And it helps to justify the shipping costs when you buy several. Yes they can smoke hot depending on your smoking method or cadence. I've actually learned a proper smoking cadence practicing with clay's. Clay pipes are a purist form of smoking tobaccos, both from what I've researched, and experienced. They deliver the flavors of the blend being smoked and nothing else.

Yes, they can be somewhat delicate; but simply being careful not to toss it around, or handle it roughly, clenching it with your teeth, or scraping the bowl with some object, then you'll find its easy to manage and maintain. I have broken one sticking the tip of my little finger in it to clean it out. A mistake I wont make again.

I reach for Clay's, Cob's, or Meerschaums, more often than my Briar's. I couldn't imagine now not owning one. I simply love the experience I derive from smoking them.

If you're in the 48, goodtradekevin on EBay sells Gouda's and Tavern's for $10 a pipe; and domestic shipping is reasonable. Or was when I dealt with him. I've said this on this forum several times now, but when you can smoke your clay and the bowl isn't to hot to touch or handle barehanded, then you've developed a proper smoking cadence which will enable you to get the best experience from your tobaccos. Of course preparation rules of proper moisture levels apply regardless of the means of delivery, right?

And inevitably, you'll probably break one for whatever reason, hence the recommendation to buy a few.

Monkey likes this.
  19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I ave a few on my PAD wishlist. I think they're classic looking.

20. JDCHazen

JDCHazen Member

My one tavern clay is my at home reading pipe. It's great. I do take it out often too. In my opinion, they're really not any more fragile than a Meer. Treat it like one and it'll last just fine. Smoking wise, they are nice and dry. For some tobacco's that seem to bite a lot, less so or none at all in my clay. Not sure why but tobacco's don't seem to be so picky as to how they're packed versus my briars too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.