1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

thinking of getting a clay....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by craig, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey guys im thinking of getting a clay pipe at some point something along the lines of 6 or 7 inch stem, can anyone recommend any good threads on care and maintainance?
    cheers fellas.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Care and maintenance?....well, maintenance - I think, consists of putting them in the fire embers occasionally, and care?....just don't drop 'em - they don't bounce good!
    OT

dmkerr, Pipe Dwarf and user2725 like this.
  3. craig

craig Active Member

putting them in fire embers :S and yeah i heard if you drop a clay it can be quite a "fun" game trying to put it back together again :P

4. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

What's so nice about clays is that they require virtually no maintenance at all. I have a couple of these http://pipeshoppe.com/ps_clay.php and the only thing I've ever done is drop it in a ziplock bag and fill it with Everclear and let it soak for a while, then let it dry. I've heard you can just throw them in a fireplace or something and let the fire burn off any residual tars, but I haven't tried this.

Monkey likes this.
  5. craig

craig Active Member

ahh cool i would probably use whiskey, but ive always been intrigued by the clays

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've thought about getting a clay, or a few, one day. I think they have such a historic look to them.
    I know Darkly, a member here, smokes a few clays and makes them too.

7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Clays are fantastic. They're cheap, so get a few. Anytime I try a new tobacco for the first time I always smoke it from a clay to ensure a pure delivery. Just learn to smoke them cool. And you can with practice.

Pipe Dwarf and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  8. craig

craig Active Member

thats what i was thinking of getting them for the pureness they deliver, do clays carry ghosts stone or dont flavours impart on them?.

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Not that I've experienced. Just pure the flavors of the blend. I've smoked numerous tobacco in mine with no ghost whatsoever. Check out "mr.goodtradekevin" on ebay. He has really decent prices on clays too.

10. craig

craig Active Member

thanks for the heads up stone. theres a shop in my town what has a good selection of clays from the last english clay pipe maker that shut up shop either early this year or late last year you may of heard of them there called famous faces by wilsons of sharrow.
    Only thing that stopped me getting one before is supposedly they get stupidly hot.

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Oh well you're laughin' then. Thats a good source. You know what, I actually perfected my smoking cadence in a clay. I can smoke a clay and hold the bowl. If the bowl gets too warm to the touch, I know I'm smoking too fast or drawing too deep. Pick up a few, Craig; no kidding, you can probably get a deal on 2-3. Just practice with it; you wont believe how much you like them until you've had them long enough to perfect your smoking method.

craig likes this.
  12. craig

craig Active Member

ok im convinced im going to pick a few up when i have some spare funds, mind i could probably leave it a year and still pick up the ones i have my eye on the pipe trade in my area is a slow drip rather than steady stream.
    Theres pipes the guy has that have been sat there years, notably some peterson special editions.

But the clays i have always been intrigued by them, and i would love to own a japanese kiseru pipe mostly because i just like anything to do with japanese culture.

Stonewall likes this.
  13. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I've had two clays the first one was a cheap rubbish one. The second I got from Dwaugh's experiments. I like them they smoke great and dont need any maintenance. I BBQ'd mine to see what happened and it did great. You do need to be careful when emptying them tho or this will happen.
    [​IMG]

14. craig

craig Active Member

Ouch yeah i think i will have to learn to be a little gentle with it.

15. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I recently got a handmade clay from one our members here (Darkly) and I was surprised how well it smoked, it's a very absorbent pipe...
    [​IMG]

craig and Old Ted like this.
  16. craig

craig Active Member

love this clay it looks really good!!

user2725 likes this.
  17. Pipe Dwarf

Pipe Dwarf New Member

Briar boy - very nice traditional style with bowl rest and a good patina.

user2725 likes this.
  18. Pipe Dwarf

Pipe Dwarf New Member

Same here have a clay lined Dr Plumb I use for sampling new tobaccos. no ghosting and very little cleaning needed. a good dry smoke too!

19. craig

craig Active Member

awesome, see with my cobs i have smoked everything in them its only now i have started making a transition to briar i have started dedicating pipes, but the fact clays dont seem to ghost is good as i can now taste tobacco in the purest form possible.

20. Johnny

Johnny Member

I have one clay that I've only smoked once, I should try it again soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.