1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

This is a new one on me...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Longrifle3006, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

I found another "treasure" in that lot of pipes I bought at auction a while ago. I was cleaning up one of the "chaff" pipes from the lot, and wanted to see what I could learn about it. It had a rather curious stem/stinger arrangement that had me baffled as to the purpose. It was stamped with only "Holland Heine's Pipe" and "U.S. Patent 2,166,537". A search for Holland Heine produced no results, but when I did a patent search, this came up:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=0Z...urce=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Be sure to scroll to see both pages in the link.

I don't have any pic's as of yet, and truthfully when the pipe is assembled it looks like a quite unremarkable straight billiard or pot, depending on who's shape chart you follow.

Submitted for curiosity and historical value. Enjoy!

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Very cool.....How does it smoke?

3. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Actually I had high hopes for this pipe because it had a fairly heavy cake in the bowl when I received it. (I believe that crappy smoking pipes rarely get smoked enough to build a decent cake.) In practice, I found that a regular length pipe cleaner was too long for the stinger arrangement so I ended up using a half. The draw on the pipe is a bit tighter than what I'm used to, but the smoke was dry and without gurgles or bits of tobacco, etc that sometimes happen. When I opened the pipe after it cooled, the half pipe cleaner was saturated with moisture, but didn't seem to be especially laden with tar, etc.
    It's not a fancy looking pipe, but I think that it will get some use in my rotation.

4. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Nice find. Would it be something like an early filtered pipe?

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

If the stinger is removable I'd try taking it out and seeing how it smokes. It may be a pretty good pipe if it gets some better airflow.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I've seen some of the old Smokemaster pipes that had a similar design (using a pipe cleaner as a filter). I wonder if the one you have is related to them in some way.
    So many of the early pipes (Kaywoodies, Grabows, etc.) have features that are so alike that they must have come from a single source and slightly modified to beat the patent laws.
    It would be interesting to find a link between Holland Heine and Smokemaster.
    Dan

7. erickghint

erickghint Member

After about an hour and a half searching, I've come up with an article from 1960 that costs $3.50 to read, an obituary of someone with the same name, and that's about it. I've searched around for Holland Heine and Bernard M. Shoemaker, both of which turned up squat. Maybe the pipe was made specifically for some dude who's nickname was Holland Heine, which is why there's no information on him? Or maybe that's what Bernard's nickname was. I dunno... interesting pipe, though.

8. erickghint

erickghint Member

Found something!!! Did a little more searching and found this : http://books.google.com/books?id=1z...AQ#v=onepage&q="holland heine's pipe"&f=false

It's an ad from LIFE magazine June 3rd, 1940. There's a Holland Heine's Pipe offer. You have to zoom in a few ticks to read it, but it seems like you had to save the peel off strips from Heine's tobacco tins to send off for one.

EDIT: Please excuse my excitement over this... I just really enjoy researching stuff and finding information like this. Also, there's an article next to the ad about refugees from Belgium going to Paris. Pretty interesting, even if not pipe related.

9. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Did the zoom trick; all interesting stuff of historical interest - including the stockings! Seriously though well done in your dogged pursit of the facts and enjoy the pipe!

Best to all

Gerry

10. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Yup! That's it!. The one in the ad looks exactly like the one I have. Great piece of research there... :drinkin:

11. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

OK I got curious as I noticed that Heine's Tobacco was a product of Ohio, my home state. Apparently the tobacco company in Massillon no longer exists, but was affiliated with Sutliff tobacco somehow. Sutliff produced a "Heine's Blend" for a period of time....A check with the Altadis website (bought Sutliff in the early '70s) doesn't show Heine's Blend in their current production lineup, but Iwan Ries & Co website shows that they have it in stock.

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I just did a little more looking around and found another piece to the puzzle. I'll try to attach it.
    It's an old Smokemaster ad that explains their "pipe cleaner" filter method. What's interesting is that the patent number they refer to is the same as the one on the Heinse pipe that the OP is about.
    Two outfits sharing the patent or both pipe made by the same outfit?
    Dan[attachment=929:Smokemaster+Bard+DRB+ad.jpg]

13. erickghint

erickghint Member

And the research continues. As it turns out, the Smokemaster pipes were made by Briarcraft, who also made "Holland Heine's Pipe". Now, the last piece of the puzzle, who was Bernard Shoemaker? Mr.Shoemaker owned Briarcraft back in the day, and also the patent on the pipe cleaner filter idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.