This is getting to be a problem...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by LifeOfRiley, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chriss

Chriss Member

This is how I see it !!!
    1 pouch of captain black locally in Montreal 18.75$. that's 2 oz.

4noggins ( and also house of calabash and smokingpipe.com) has a shipping fee around 6-12 ish $$

In Canada, you don't have to pay tax on tobacco that you order as long as its less then 200g( at least I haven't). ( most tobacco come in 50g tin so thats 4 pouch for every 6-12$ of shipping)

Captain black on 4noggins is 5.99$$!!!!! so if you order 4 thats 8$ ish per pouch after shipping XDXD

now with that 10$ per pouch you save you head on to the expensive side of tobacco's XDXDXD !!! take that Canada har! har! har! never buying tobacco here again ( witch i haven't since I found out about online shopping XD) !!

If anything, because you are in Canada, you should cellar !!

2. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Well, yes, now that I've discovered 4noggins and others. The two hundred grams thing is meaningless. That is how much you can carry over the border for free. Whether you get a customs hit on mail orders is purely the luck of the draw. Very often you don't. Even when you do, the price you paid, shipping, and the customs hit will still keep you at about fifty percent of the price in a local B&M store, here in Vancouver. The customs hit is something like seven dollars per fifty grams. So a ten dollar tin becomes seventeen. At a tobacconist that same tin will cost between thirty and forty dollars. Plus 12 percent sales tax.

I may never buy tobacco from a Canadian store again

3. Chriss

Chriss Member

OHH really, I tough it was on everything ( I guess keeping it under 200g makes it cheaper for when you DO get drawn out XD).

4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

It's a bit of a crap shoot. There are rules but customs seems to be a law unto itself at times. There is a set limit for when you cross the border into Canada but I know folks, locally, that have been hit (mail orders) for duties on fifty grams and the same person didn't get hit for a much larger order. It's a crap shoot.

But, like I said, even with the customs hit it is still a big saving to buy on line from companies that use regular mail and don't force you to use UPS or some such service. You always pay customs with them because they are a customs broker as well as a delivery service.

5. Chriss

Chriss Member

im not sure I understand! All my stuff was shipped usps and it transfers to postal canada when it crosses the border .

So far at least !!

I have a package im picking up tomorow witch was held 3 days at customs I guess ill see then XD

6. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

That is because they aren't making the final delivery or things have changed since I last used them. When I was in the music biz I used them to send art work samples and similar things relating to creating and producing CDs and the jackets. Always got hit with customs on stuff that should never have been a problem. then I learned that they were acting as a customs broker and charging brokerage fees on every thing. I quit using them and the problem disappeared. But they were delivering to the door of the businesses and individuals I was dealing with.

I will be interested in hearing what's what when the package arrives.

7. Chriss

Chriss Member

HAHA I honestly think the Canadian border makes up their own rules as they go along!!

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Yowsa, Chriss I just paid attention to the price you listed in Montreal, way cheaper than here in BC. The Captain black will cost at least twenty six bucks. The single cheapest 50 grm tin I have seen in Vancouver is 25 bucks for Erinmore flake. Frog Morton was 37 bucks Before the factory price increase. We are just a tad cheaper than Australia.

9. Chriss

Chriss Member

OHH lol your in BC, yeah!! I hear everything, even breathing air, is more expansive in BC haha !

But I still get great prices from the states XD!!

10. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Sadly, it is true. Everything costs more out here. Someone has to support central Canada:)

11. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

It's a sickness I tell you, a sickness. No one can possibly smoke that much tobacco.

12. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

My cellaring has slowed down way to much.. It's been really at a standstill for about a year. All but a couple tins and the tambo order..
    I need to kick it up some.....

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

This is a big part of why I started to cellar. No one thought prohibition would ever happen - except those who made it happen. I think you're fooling yourself if you think it won't happen to tobacco.

Snake likes this.
  14. Chriss

Chriss Member

holy crap I got snapped this week when I picked up my last order. 30$ of tobacco and i got clocked for 81$ of tax...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.