This isn't your Pappy's Light Flake........

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

:)

[​IMG]

Was sort of bored one day, so I grabbed a tin of GAF and got "busy" :)

Ed
    Puff

Beale, DocB and albot9 like this.
  2. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

uhm. laugh or slap your forehead or whatever... but I havent figured out why GAF is the abbreviation for Dunhill Flake...:doh:

3. Puff The Magic

~December/January when Flake was released, I scored a few tins. Tried it and couldn't stop smokin' it. I thought that this was and is "One of the Great Va's" and figured if Orlik did such a fine job with this blend & recipe if they'd named it anything else like say "Gorilla Asscrack Flake" (GAF) I'd still be smokin' and buyin' it regardless of the Dunhill name on it. A rose by any other name..........

Ed
    Puff

CMAsailor likes this.
  4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Since you apparently have experience with both, was the old Light Flake as good as this, Ed?

5. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

that would've taken some time to guess...

6. Puff The Magic

I'm truly embarassed to say this but I haven't cracked the tin of "Light Flake" yet! The current Flake is KILLER already, don't want to take away from that but I sort of do want to try it. Reviewing the comments on TR, I'd say the current Orlik Flake is every bit as good if not better than the old Light Flake. When I do open it, I'll do a comparo and hope it's a "draw"!

Ed
    Puff

HCraven likes this.
  7. Puff The Magic

Realistically though, the Light Flake has had the advantage of aging in the can for several years. I will open it up soon and give a report back.

Ed
    Puff

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I was rummaging through some boxes today and happened upon my old issues of P&T. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that I have the Winter 2002 issue, in which William Serad reviewed the then-current line-up of Dunhill tobaccos. He panned the Light Flake, classifying it as an aromatic, and noting that, "I can't say I liked it at all, and the worst part is that the flavor hangs around for hours after a bowl." I don't know if it has changed from that incarnation, but his review may have swayed me from ever giving it a try, as I notice that many of my tobacco choices from that time period followed his recommendations. I think I bought Durbar based on this article (he highly recommended it) but I was unfortunately greeted by a tin full of moldy tobacco upon opening it, so I never tried that one, either.

I wonder what ever happened to Mr. Serad. I stopped buying the magazine at some point, and when I looked at it again, he was no longer doing the reviews.

9. Albert

Albert Active Member

He panned GAF, everyone stopped reading his column. Now he sits in dark hut across the Cambodian line dominating a small tribe with his psychological prowess. The horror, the horror! [​IMG]

Wait, thats Kurtz, not Serad. Sorry, its Monday.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

:xd:
    Well, back in the early part of the century, before I discovered tobaccoreviews.com, it was a real treat to get a handful of reviews once a quarter. Despite his taste in Virginia flakes, reading William Serad's reviews (as well as other articles in P&T) will always be a happy memory for me. They gave me an education on pipe tobacco, and introduced a lot of things I might not have tried otherwise.

11. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Agreed. P&T was an early inspiration for
    my pipe smoking. Loved each issue and
    read through it several times before craving
    the new one.

12. Beale

Beale Active Member

I still need to buy a Tin of this. Thanks for the chuckle Puff! Beale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.