Thought I'd share some unexpected storm damages...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ehrgeiz, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

I've been eagerly awaiting a resupply from one of our online vendors... Unfortunately, I ordered on New Years Eve, which added a few extra waiting days for it to show up in the mailbox. This anxious waiting was also compounded by the fact that the vendor didn't update the shipping information on their site, so it was hard to tell exactly when the precious ounces of various G&H Twists would arrive in my mailbox. It was only a few days of Mailbox Letdown Disorder (MLD)... soon enough I said to myself.

Fast forward to today... Currently, the temp is -7F with windchills in the -55F range. I ventured out to the 200m run to the mailbox and found the key waiting for me to collect the goodies - GREAT, no MLD this time! I promptly put the key in to find it frozen rock solid... Back home to find something to defrost it. Upon return to the mailbox, a little carb cleaner did the trick.

Needless to say... the tobacco twists were frozen solid!

Resuscitation efforts ongoing...

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Frozen Twists ! Cool smoking ;)

Never had tobacco freeze on me . Should be ok , right ?!

3. jwebb33

jwebb33 Member

Man after all of that trouble I hope that is some of the best tobacco you have ever smoked!

4. CavenFish

CavenFish Active Member

I have had it happen before. Just let the tobacco thaw out on its own. No assistance needed.

MainePipe, Lucky Duck and Ehrgeiz like this.
  5. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

Well, all seems to be okay! It does seem there is very contrast between the brown twist varieties, namely the sweet rum, coconut, and maple twists - haven't had a go at the cherry yet, but smells nearly identical.. Doesn't bother me much, and I doubt the slight cold spell was to blame. The black Irish Twist on the other hand, shares little in flavor profile, but similar full bodied strength. Lots of smoked bacon and grilling action!

Still, I seem to appreciate the maple twist the most... Probably due to the comparatively lower moisture. You get what you get with bulk I guess.

6. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

The aroma is sublime, the taste is that of a grill being cleaned, no other tobacco quite like it, I much prefer the Rum Twist, I hope you enjoy it though, oh! and I should mention that the taste greatly improves if it is sliced to almost a shag cut, happy smoking.

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  7. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

I'll give that a try next go round. I've been cutting about 1/8" or so slices then rubbing it out into fairly large pieces. The wrapper (?) leaves some quite large chunks... I love the flavor and strength, but more flavor is (almost) always good.

On another note... as I've come to learn, these twists can also be chewed. I don't chew and never have in the past (and probably won't), but I can say that curiosity just got the best of me. I tasted a little of the wrapper of each type - for sure - there is a very detectable difference in each! Interesting to say the least.

Brit abroad likes this.
  8. Brit abroad

I don't chew either, but I too tried a little, not too bad I thought, a little salty and my mouth watered, had to be done.

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  9. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt compelled to give it a whirl! With a little "primer" taste, I can detect the differences a bit better, knowing what to look for. I like the twists more and more!

just5042 and Brit abroad like this.
  10. Brit abroad

You should give Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Flake a try, it's superb.edit to add..unscented.

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  11. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

Dark Flake Scented (and 1792) broke the ice for me with stronger blends - the unscented version will be good too, I bet. G&H has some great offerings. The last pipe smoking year has been spent trying different blends and forms from G&H and Sam Gawith.

Although only a half bowl, I found that there was definitely a more defined flavor using your shag-cut technique you recommended. Although not normally associated with this blend/type of tobacco, there was oddly less tongue burn for me, which I seem to be exceptionally sensitive to. (The Burleys and Kentucky, and the VAs advertised in the G&H/SG strong flakes and twists seem to have the least amount for me, which is what pushed me to explore these blends as of late.)

All in all, setting the snow expedition aside, it seems that the frozen baccy was not a big issue.

DS86, CavenFish and Brit abroad like this.
  12. CavenFish

CavenFish Active Member

Glad it all worked out for you.

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  13. Brit abroad

I'm pleased that worked for you.

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  14. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

There is cheap OTC cigar I love called Avanti, I had these freeze wile sitting in my car and it actually brought out the flavor more. Now I try to freeze them intentionally.

ruffinogold and Ehrgeiz like this.
  15. Ehrgeiz

Ehrgeiz Member

That's an interesting idea... I've heard of heating tobacco tins on the dashboard, in the oven, etc to artificially accelerate the aging process, but not freezing. I was thinking earlier about that - some vegetables freeze better than others. The poor vegetables get mushy and lose it's texture due to the water freezing in the cells - that causes the cell walls to burst. I wonder which category tobacco leaf falls into?

Preacher1611 likes this.
  16. ruffinogold

Dry cured cigars are a trip ! Avanti are the ones that are flavored with liquor , right ?! I used to smoke the De Nobili Economy and Kings while outside doing stuff like fishing and canoeing . The ultimate outdoor smoke for me was the Bances cigar that had a tip . It was a long panatella with the tip .. killer . Bances was a popular cigar after the embargo cause it was the last brand to still have pre embargo Cuban leaf until , I dont know .. sometime in the 70's I'd imagine . The stuff I smoked was Honduran . Wow , that was the most I've written or spoke about cigars in years [ other than machine cigars ]

Ehrgeiz, Gothicmace and Preacher1611 like this.
  17. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

The best cigar I have ever had was a Cuban, don't know exactly what kind, my buddy got a box of them when he was in Iraq. Honestly I expected the Cuban thing to be all hype, then I smoked it, I wish I had a box of 'em right now and I really don't like cigars that much anymore! And yes, Avanti's are anisette flavored, best black licorice smoke I have ever encountered.

ruffinogold likes this.
  18. ruffinogold

Cuban cigars are so good that even the communists have a hard time screwing them up

Ehrgeiz, Gothicmace and Preacher1611 like this.
  19. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Mmmm, delicious G&H twists...I may have to cut a few slices to smoke...as soon as it's warm enough for me to do so again. Drat. Enjoy your frostbitten treats :D

Ehrgeiz likes this.
  20. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

We're lucky then I guess, the cigars we get here are mostly Cuban, my favorite is Partagas Serie D, expensive but very smooth...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.