Thoughts on flake dimensions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Not really complaining here!..but a few thoughts about the VA flakes that have been my staple diet for many years. Smoked a heck of a lot of Erinmore, St.Bruno, Condor etc,etc, and love the look and feel of the precision-cut thin flakes - almost appearing like a miniature deck of cards, and I soon get to know - how many I need to 'deal' for my chosen pipe. Today at the B&M I stocked up with some bulk flakes from Sam G. - IMO still the best producer of VA flakes in the world!. Well, their site says that they still use some equipment that was second-hand when they started in 1792!...so maybe that accounts for the random thickness and size of flakes. The 'Best Brown' I picked up today was in approx. 6" flakes of varying thickness, and I cut them up with scissors at home, before use. It's no big deal, of course! - the baccy is so good, but I just like things neat and tidy! LOL, and in similar fashion - I'm not too fond of the ragged way that Orlik GS's are presented in the tin! :eek:hyeah:
    Cheers OT

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

According to a history of the Gawith company that I have around here somewhere, the second-hand equipment from 1792 was mostly snuff-milling hardware. Think of a mortar and pestle the size of your car, and you'd be close. :) I'll have to find the book and see what other details I've forgotten.

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Found it: Kendal Brown, the History of Kendal's Tobacco and Snuff Industry, J. W. Dunderdale. The machinery was bought used in Glasgow and was transported to Kendal by a Thomas Harrison, who opened a tobacco company in Kendal. Samuel Gawith married Harrison's daughter in 1837, and the company later became his. The machinery is still in use, apparently.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Thanks Andy - I didn't know there was such a book, interesting!, I wonder if it is still in print?....must look out for this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.