1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Thoughts on Kaywoodie?...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Coda, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

So I am looking for a new briar. I'd like to get a black sandblast canadian, and Kaywoodie makes a pipe that is close to that (Red Root Sandblasted Billiard). I was just wondering if Kaywoodies are worth the price. I know its not much, but, for example, I am comfortable paying the price for a Dr. Grabow. Ive never had a Kaywoodie, and know nothing of their better pipes, etc.

Whats the consensus on Kaywoodie?...

Oh, heres the pipe I am looking at...its as close to my PAD as I can find without dropping more than Im comfortable with...Its not really a canadian, but its close...

[​IMG]

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Coda , Kaywoodies are , imo , the best bang for the buck in the pipe world ;) . I've owned a large number of them and I've only hand a couple that were " meh " smokers . If ya dont care for the stinger , you can always clip it off . I find the stinger works perfect w/ OTC type cuts . MCB and CH in a Kaywoodie is perfect , as is SWRA . I have around 15 Kaywoodies , currently , and some of them smoke as good as my " better " pipes . The Red Roots looks cool . Theres one I had my eye on but it sold out . It was a Calabash type shape and really did it for me ... but , no luck . I also have come around to Dr. Grabows and like them alot . Kaywoodies have a better texture/s and better finish , imo

Preacher1611, IrishRover and dwaugh like this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

IMO, Kaywoodie is a bit of an upgrade from Dr G. Like many mass produced pipes the engineering is good. It would be hard to be disappointed as long as you are not expecting a Sasquatcn type pipe at that price. Buy it and enjoy it. If I wasn't such a cob anx meer diehard I'd probably have a few of these.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

They've been around almost as long as anybody, and have made everything from world class to sucks ass pipes. I have a soft spot for them, have been disappointed more than once by them, and will no doubt own several more before I'm through.

5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've only the one; it's a very old Lovat. It's a damn fine smoker though. The Super Grain line gets great reviews.

6. Pappy

Pappy Member

Coda,

For what it’s worth my Kaywoodie 45C has been faithfully accepting the match from 1955 to present day. It boggles the mind to consider how many pounds of tobacco have been enjoyed in its humble bowl. It’s still one of my main smokers, and smokes cool, sweet, and dry even with aromatics. For the price a Dr Grabow is a fine pipe, but if I had my choice between that and a Kaywoodie, I’d take the Kay every time. YMMV.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

After reading these posts, I will have to get the estate kaywoodie I always pass up at the antique shop (unless it is priced higher than a new one) I dont see how you could skip it now. Heck, I even like that pipe you posted and Im not a canadianish fan! ... I may wind up with two hundred pipes before I die, if I continue at this rate. 25 down, 175 to go! :cool: Enjoy that beaut!!!

PipeWife likes this.
  8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I'd have to say I've liked the Kaywoodies in my rotation. One is a gurgler although, I have a Pete that drives me crazy with that too. So like Ruff said, best bank for your buck, get a Kaywoodie. I have noticed the older Kaywoodies seem to be a better smoker for me.

9. DGErwin11

This thread led me to dust off (literally) my straight Kaywoodie Saxon. This is a dark stained blasted pot. The Saxon line has a regular push/pull tenon, no stinger.

Well, I just finished a very enjoyable and satisfying bowl of Carter Hall (of course). When it was through I turned it upside down, tapped the heel with my finger and got nothing but ash. I am leaning mightly towards putting this pipe back into my rotation. It is not a cob, it is not a meer, but I just had a damned fine smoke with it.

10. jpberg

Did the world just turn upside down, or is it just me?

11. DGErwin11

Everybody likes a little :booty:
    nobody likes a smart :booty:

12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I have a Supergrain Bull Dog, that is a great smoker. It has had the stinger chopped of and the tenon drilled out though.

13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I've noticed the quality of older Grabows to be superior to the newer ones. Is it the same with Kaywoodie?

14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Wait till he changes his name to "briarsmoker" :D

15. jpberg

December 20, 2012.

16. DGErwin11

Do you speak Mayan?

dwaugh likes this.
  17. jpberg

No, Bombayan.

dwaugh likes this.
  18. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Kaywoodies are awesome! I love mine, my Majestic gets the gurgles from time to time but it smokes great!

19. will

will Member

One of my best smokers is a Whitebriar Billiard that looks pretty beat up.
    Got it with a lot on EBay so it ended up costing about 4 bucks.
    It is not much to look at but it is real light, comfortable and smokes like a dream.
    Pipes such as this are a delight to find.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  20. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

The two older Kaywoodies I have are great pipes. Are the new ones as good as the pre 1970's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.