1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on moisture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Right now I'm smoking my way through my second pound of Patton's 'Virginia Squire', a nice 'all-day' VA - especially (for me) when a little Carter Hall is tossed into the pot too!, 'Best Brown' - it ain't, but I like it, and the price is right!. Well this stuff is billed as "dry - by design", which it certainly is, and that's how I've been smoking it so far. As a lifelong smoker of 'Brit.' flakes I'm well used to giving most a bit of drying time before loading up, and the dryness of this ribbon cut blend was quite a surprise at first - but like I said, I've been enjoying it!, but a couple of days ago I thought about experimenting a little - tossed a few ounces into a plastic sandwich box, laid a wet piece of toweling over the top opening and left it for a night and a morning. Well, to me it's a different blend! - smells delicious in the jar, smokes sweeter, cooler and lasts longer!. So to newbies I say play around with the moisture aspect - some need it, some don't!
    Cheers, OT
    bigpoppamike100 likes this.
  2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I have a kilogram of 1792 that came in unsealed boxes, so it's pretty dry. Smokes fine, although the perfume dissipated long ago.
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Ted has hit the nail square and bang on the head - experimenting is the key. Like most Brit pipemen of my day I was brought up to believe that dry tobacco was a guarantee of tongue bite - and I stuck with at belief for nearly 40 years going to great lengths to keep my tobacco moist.

John Patton persuaded me to try his blends "as is" and it was a revelation to me - good dry tobacco could smoke cool and it not give tongue bite. Up until that point I had always held in my mind that Players Gold Leaf was the standard by which good virginia should be judged; from then on I addded Quadruple Virginia as one of my Gold Stanadards.

There's always something new to learn in this game no matter how long you've been at it!

Best to all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.