Thoughts on Pal O' Mine?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

What are your thoughts on McClellands Pal O' Mine? Is it a good starting tobacco for a noob or should I stick with kinds like Captain Black?

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

McClelland is a more thoughtful blender than whatever demons from hell came up with Captain Black. There, I said it. Yes, I'm a snob. Try everything you can find that sounds good to you, and you will find something you like, eventually. Sometimes it's important to try things that don't sound good to you-- you'll either be surprised, or you'll come to understand your own tastes better, or both.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm with Andy here - you have to experiment to build up a repertoire of tastes that you like and which suit you. Even when you get a tobacco you don't like it's not a complete loss as it helps you find out what you truly enjoy - and should your tastes change later on you have something filed away in your Libary of Tastes to fall back on.

Back when I was young and at the real experimental stage I think I worked my way through about 120 different types before settling on my favourite styles.

It really is a Voyage of Discovery - enjoy the trip!

Gerry

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Personally, I found it goopy, and
    overly sweet. I won't get it again.
    Still haven't gone through the
    tin I have. YMMV

dp

5. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

I love this! ROTFLMAO!

I almost gave up pipe smoking due to CBW, since it requires almost perfect technique before it bites the hell out of me.

Pal o' Mine is not a bad aromatic, but can be on the moist side when new. Leave the tin open under a desk lamp for 10 to 15 minutes before lighting up a bowl, and it helps. I find the McClelland aromatics to burn to a fine gray ash or a miniscule dottle compared to most aros out there. I also haven't had much trouble with this peach flavored blend ghosting my briars, unlike Blender's Gold Peach Melba did. I really don't care much for peach mixed with my tobacco flavors, so I rarely smoke my Pal O' Mine, but there are evenings when I fancy it.

Another post on this site had some of the best advice I had read yet -- if you find something you don't care for -- don't throw it out![/] Cellar it for awhile, dry it some, try a different pipe, etc., and you may be surprised how differently these taste, just as AndyLowry notes above. Many blends I bought and tried (including CBW) seemed bad to me, until I had more experience and patience with smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.