1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Pal O' Mine?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Jan 1, 2011
    What are your thoughts on McClellands Pal O' Mine? Is it a good starting tobacco for a noob or should I stick with kinds like Captain Black?
  2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Aug 28, 2010
    McClelland is a more thoughtful blender than whatever demons from hell came up with Captain Black. There, I said it. Yes, I'm a snob. Try everything you can find that sounds good to you, and you will find something you like, eventually. Sometimes it's important to try things that don't sound good to you-- you'll either be surprised, or you'll come to understand your own tastes better, or both.
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I'm with Andy here - you have to experiment to build up a repertoire of tastes that you like and which suit you. Even when you get a tobacco you don't like it's not a complete loss as it helps you find out what you truly enjoy - and should your tastes change later on you have something filed away in your Libary of Tastes to fall back on.

Back when I was young and at the real experimental stage I think I worked my way through about 120 different types before settling on my favourite styles.

It really is a Voyage of Discovery - enjoy the trip!

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    Personally, I found it goopy, and
    overly sweet. I won't get it again.
    Still haven't gone through the
    tin I have. YMMV

5. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I love this! ROTFLMAO!

I almost gave up pipe smoking due to CBW, since it requires almost perfect technique before it bites the hell out of me.

Pal o' Mine is not a bad aromatic, but can be on the moist side when new. Leave the tin open under a desk lamp for 10 to 15 minutes before lighting up a bowl, and it helps. I find the McClelland aromatics to burn to a fine gray ash or a miniscule dottle compared to most aros out there. I also haven't had much trouble with this peach flavored blend ghosting my briars, unlike Blender's Gold Peach Melba did. I really don't care much for peach mixed with my tobacco flavors, so I rarely smoke my Pal O' Mine, but there are evenings when I fancy it.

Another post on this site had some of the best advice I had read yet -- if you find something you don't care for -- don't throw it out![/] Cellar it for awhile, dry it some, try a different pipe, etc., and you may be surprised how differently these taste, just as AndyLowry notes above. Many blends I bought and tried (including CBW) seemed bad to me, until I had more experience and patience with smoking.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.