Thoughts on u.s. otc's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A year or so back, I had never tried - or seen American 'OTC' tobaccos, but now through some kindly acts of trade have enjoyed sampling some. So far I've had CH, PA, Granger, 5Bros, SWR and it's aromatic sibling. Carter Hall is the one I have really taken to, with PA a close second (actually I find them pretty similar), 5Bros is not for me! - reminds me of rolling tobacco!, and for some reason I find Granger a very poor smoke, the SWR pair are pretty good. So with future sampling in mind - I'm wondering what else there is that I'd like, OTC-wise?......maybe half and half, sugar barrel etc?.....:msty:
    OT

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

IMHO, you have already sampled the best. Middleton's Cherry is not a typical aro so you might like it.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Walnut is a fun one you don't have on your list, H&H is another really good one but be sure you get a sample from a tub. I really really really like Sugar Barrel, too.

Smokey and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I'll throw in for Walnut and Sugar Barrel. PA Cherry isn't bad and isn't very cherryish. I've only smoked a few bowls from a recently purchased pouch and I can't get it out of my head that it tastes like cotton candy.

5. furious

furious Junque collector

SWR Aro all the way.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Half and Half, Kentucky Club (KC) Mild, KC Continental, KC Mixture, and Middleton Cherry Blend come to mind.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Surely I sent ya Middletons Cherry Blend ... if not , I'm an idiot :bangin:

8. Scottly

Scottly Member

Prince Alberts Cherry Vanilla, it tastes like cotton candy to me. Walnut is great, tastes like a better quality Carter Hall.

Mark w4mms and ATXPipe like this.
  9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

SWRA gets my vote as well.

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

You need to try Sugar Barrel. That should round things out nicely for you. But Carter Hall is so far my fav OTC. I should smoke it more often.:puffy:

11. Paul

Paul Member

Theres a little store near me (they sell beer by the "assorted" six pack..as in.. random beers thrown into a miller lite 6 pack cardboard holder.) and one guy owns it/works there.. he has a bunch of pipe tobacco that all are in like 5 lb bags, and look horrible. I've never actually looked at the names.. ill have to see if he has carter hall or something. Too bad he doesnt sell pipes! He gives me 5 cents off gas though.. which is awesome. I guess im the only guy whose nice to him?

anyway.. ill go and write down all the names and come back and ask if any are worth trying :P

Mark w4mms likes this.
  12. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I'd be willing to bet those big bags he has are RYO being sold as pipe tobacco, and I wouldn't want to smoke them in a pipe.

13. Paul

Paul Member

most likely XD

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Gotta throw Velvet in there, as well.

15. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

RTO I've been thinking about Velvet, too...what's it comparable to?

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

you did indeed John (my omission!:oops:) - and it was good stuff - light on the flavoring:th1:
    OT

ruffinogold and Puff The Magic like this.
  17. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I really want to try and like Middleton's Walnut. The description sounds right up my alley. I just don't feel comfortable buying a tub of it; I may not like it. I've seen Sugar Barrel in my favorite b&m but again, only the huge tubs. Walnut, I have only seen online.

18. sarge564

sarge564 Member

The only way I could get SUGAR BARREL was in a huge tub. WORTH IT!!! Very odd but lately I have had a craving for BR whiskey. Didn't care much for it when I smoked it 20+ years ago. But maybe it's the memory of opening that pouch and the wonderful smell that comes from it. Combined with the memory of standing by the barn looking at the fall colors that I crave. When the tongue bite hits me, I'll remember why I didn't care for it.

19. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I had to buy a pouch of BR whiskey to remind myself as well... lol... sure enough, most of the pouch is still sitting in my pipe cabinet... Bites like a rabid dog and doesn't taste anywhere as good as it smells.

20. Scottly

Scottly Member

Get a sample of Walnut from 4noggins

Mark w4mms, ATXPipe and Monkeyshine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.