Three Nuns in bulk?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

Anyone know where I can get Three Nuns Rubbed version in bulk?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've never seen it offered in bulk . It'll be something to search .. if its out there , it'll be from someone over seas more than likely

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

Well, where do I get some more of the stuff you sent me? That's some damn good stuff.

4. ruffinogold

Sadly , overseas :( ... places like this .. http://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/bells-three-nuns-pipe-tobacco-50g-pouch# .....

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=179

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=category&man=145&cat=69
    Check out their list of brands they carry [ Mick McQuaid ! ] .. http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=catman&cat=69

Thyeres many sites out there that sell it

5. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Synjeco sells the tinned version, which isn't cheap, but is much better than the pouch version. I found the pouch version to be awful by comparison. It's course cut whereas the tin version is coin cut. Unfortunately, around 2003, Orlik started making the tinned version, substituting Kentucky for perique. They took a magical smoke and turned it into a good one. I like it, but won't buy it again once I smoke up the last few tins. Then I go back to the older version with perique, which I thankfully have a stash of. And Synjeco will take the tobacco out of the tins and bag it if you want to save on shipping. http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/4040.php?i5s9

6. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

I haven't tried this blend yet, now I want some. Don't know if it's cause of the hype or that's its a coin shaped.

Gunslinger,

7. JimInks

Gunslinger said,
    I often rub out the tobacco that goes in the bottom and the top of the bowl and stack the coins inbetween. This tobacco - either version - ages beautifully in the tin. I could smoke it most of the day if I wanted, though it'd be an expensive habit. I just wish they hadn't changed the formula (yes, I'm pouting about it), because the version with perique was my all time favorite smoke, and I was gladly paying the money for it. But with so many great tobaccos available in the U.S. at reasonable, it's hard to justify - depending on the current exchange rate - paying around $16 to $20 for a 50g tin. And that's not even including the shipping, which isn't cheap coming from Switzerland.

I don't mean to sound like a shill for Synjeco, but I've order from them off and on for 12 years and found their service to be great. They have some stuff you just can't get in the U.S., like their Schürch house blends (which has some of the best English tobaccos I've ever smoked and comes in bulk).

8. buistd

buistd Active Member

Have you tried C&D Three Friars? It's not the same as, but inspired by Three Nuns. I really like it, but have never tried the tinned Three Nuns so can't tell you how it compares.

9. JimInks

To Buistd: yes, I have tried Three Friars and have been smoking it lately, too. I like it quite a bit, but tastes nothing like Three Nuns at all. It has a good Burley taste that is not in Three Nuns, and there's no real perique taste in the Friars either (mostly a hint of it). It's also a little sweeter. It doesn't matter: Three Friars is very good and worth your money.

buistd likes this.
  10. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I know where you can get three bulky nuns, though you'd have to rub them yourself.:haha:

Darkly and Goat like this.
  11. JimInks

Oh, how that was bad!!!! I'll smoke a bowl at your funeral, 'cuz somebody's gonna kill you for that one! :)

Goat and ruffinogold like this.
  12. buistd

buistd Active Member

I suspected that it wouldn't be hugely similar as it bears no resemblance to the Imperial Tobacco version. Like I said, Three Friars is only inspired by Three Nuns. Glad to hear your thoughts having tried both of the blends in question.

JimInks likes this.
  13. ruffinogold

The rubbed version is quite a bit different from the coins . I think the rubbed version captures the idea of the coins but thats about it . If you click on the Danish link I posted , they say they have the original ? Heck , I dont know .

14. JimInks

The rubbed version of Three Nuns tastes sludgy; no nuance, no subtle flavors, and tastes like cheap tobacco. It may have some of the same ingredients of the coin version, but the resemblance really and truly ends with the name of the tobacco.

15. ruffinogold

I dont know . When I smoke the rubbed , I get alittle of the old blend .. mostly in the Va . The thing is , who ever rubbed out Three Nuns to the point of the rubbed version ?! ... I never did

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well I see they have Condor on that link. Thanks, Ruff!

17. Goat

Goat Active Member

Dang it..... Like I didn't have enough US sites to buy from.
    Ok, so IF I'm going to place an overseas order, what else should I add to the list? I'm thinking Three Nuns and Condor so far.

18. ruffinogold

Snake likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.