three nuns

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ryan65, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan65

ryan65 Member

bought a new tin of three nuns today because I heard it used to be an all time favorite for many pipers. I didn't really know much about it but my tobacco shop here has an endless supply so I decided to give it a try, and now I know why- this stuff is freakin delicious! this may even pass escudo on my all time favorite VaPer. It has the perfect burning qualities of escudo but it has alittle bit of something else maybe its the brazilian leaf thats added. anywhoo, I'm not good at reviewing tobacco but I can tell you if you enjoy escudo this is a blend you shouldnt pass up.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:puffy: Wellcome to bliss in a tin !

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Told you so.:p

4. ryan65

ryan65 Member

im on my second bowl in another pipe already:ohyh:

5. WillH

WillH Active Member

Okay! I'll bite... The only tins of Three Nuns I can fine are priced at $195.00 per tin.

I've probably smoked a truck load of Three Nuns until it became impossible to find! So what's up?

Will

6. ruffinogold

7. ryan65

ryan65 Member

ah sorry I forgot to mention I'm in japan so its widely available over here, 195$ is insane lemme guess that was an ebay price? ruffingold's link looks alot more realistic not sure how much vat taxes are or if you have to pay that. I believe its made by orlik so i dont see why they cant sell it in the states

8. WillH

WillH Active Member

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

The original "Bell's Three Nuns" hasn't been available for many years and what's on the market now is the wannabe blend like so many others.

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Sounds delicious, but until it's readily available stateside, I'll pass. Too many headaches.

11. ruffinogold

Snake was kind enough to send this Three Nuns Junkie a tin of the new stuff and I was impressed . It had been a good number of years since I had the original so my memory coulde be off ... it tasted a bit muted a bit is all I could tell ..... but I figured that maybe that was do to the fact that I've smoked a bazillion bowls of other stuff since I had it last . Do you think it was way off or just a little . I thought the discs were a little smaller than they were but I've been looking at PS bullseye of late and those are pretty big ya know

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ruff, the original blend was a Virginia/Perique blend spun in coins, the Orlick version of Three Nuns doesn't seem to have any Perique in the blend, or at least I could not taste it.

13. ruffinogold

I hear ya . I'm gonna smoke some tomorrow and really think . At the moment I lit some Tudor castle and I'm diggin this blend ... it's new to me and it's pretty good

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

+++1 on the Tudor Castle...

15. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I guess maybe some of the older pipers are turned off by "new" version, some what similar to the orlik take over of murray's dunhill blends. I cant tell you what the blend tasted like 20 years ago but i can tell you what i enjoy at the moment and this stuff is awesome in my book. im pretty sure i can taste the perique, but who knows, im not much for narrowing down flavors. it tastes alot like escudo to me though i havent smoked a tin of that in a few months so maybe i will do some experimenting between the 2.

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

The newer tin that I bought at FF (which I then sent
    to Ruff) was labelled as "Bell's" , but I know Orlik
    owns the brand now. I also believe the current
    concoction doesn't have perique like the 3N of old.

dp

17. ryan65

ryan65 Member

yah who knows i mean i have already read some reviews where people said that orlik got the original recipe down perfect to the original lol

18. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

As a survivor of 12 years of strict Catholic education, I cringe at the mere thought of 3 nuns....

JimInks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.