1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Throw some burly's out there

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jayson H Bucy, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I really want to try some burly's. I know everyone's tastes are different but are there any blend's out there that are pretty universally understood to be just good tobacco? I was thinking C&D's maybe 808 or even 108 (all though I hear 108 ghosts badly). Maybe CH or SWR?

2. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I prefer SWR but just started smoking a pipe 2 weeks ago so take my opinion for what its worth. Yeah, and its cheap.

colorduke likes this.
  3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm sure Ruff will chime in with the same advice later, but I like McB Golden Extra for pure burliness. Burley London Blend is good, too. Also, their Scottish Mixture is heavy on burley and flat good. Another plus, they are all inexpensive.

Forum Running

4. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

While my experience is not vast, I can vouch for Mac Baren Golden Extra being a nice tobacco.

5. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Solani Aged Burley Flake ... but for the times my budget is a little tighter (read as: all the time) Carter Hall!

I tried one of C&D Burley Flake blends (don't remember which one) and I thought I was being kicked in the head. Don't know what they do differently, but I hear some folks really like them.

Artistik, Rodfather and Johnny Dingo like this.
  6. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Uhle's #00 Burley is tops in my book.;)

7. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Never a hassle with the Hall.

Artistik likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would start with the OTC burley blends first, Carter Hall, Cherry Blend, Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh etc., these are easy to find locally, reasonably priced and a good introduction to burley tobaccos. I would personally recommend you start with Carter Hall in a cob!

9. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I haven't been able to find any of the OTC's locally. I'll give it another go at looking though.

I really like the few Solani blends I've tried

10. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Got the Solani.

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I hear Solani Aged Burley Flake is very good, haven't tried it myself.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

So far I've thrown out Half & Half, Briggs, Mixture #79 and a few others. :xd:

Good ones... Uhle's Blend 00 and Perfection Plug, C&D's Burley Straight, Solani ABF, Wessex Burley Slice, SWR are all somewhere in my rotation. Mac Baren Symphony is also excellent, but is a mixture of burley and virginia.

13. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Uhle's Perfection Plug doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. That is one really good smoke!

Paul

Rodfather likes this.
  14. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

Uhle's Blend 00
    Solani Aged Burley Flake
    Prince Albert
    Carter Hall
    Anglers Dream

15. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Just went through my second bowl of C&D's Crooner, which was better than the first. The cubed-cut burley is quite good (if a bit hard to light), but the deertongue is a bit much for me, particularly at the start of the bowl. It has a soapy, almost astringent character. It eventually evens out and has its moments. But it does get a lot of good reviews, so it may work for you.

Can recommend McCranie's Old Master, however. Burley, a bit of VA, and some very light casing - maybe vanilla.

16. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

if you want to try Burley with a bit of a twist, i might recommend Haunted Bookshop--it has a bit of Virginia, and a bit more Perique in it, BUT it is mainly a Burley show--

should you find HB acceptable you might then try Old Joe Krantz, which has a bit more Perique--beware, it has a considerable Nic component; not overpowering, but noticeable--

if Perique isn't acceptable to you then consider Haunted Bookshop--it has a touch of Virginia and Latakia, but the Lat is very subdued--again it's mainly the Burley that you experience--

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on PA....

18. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

My two favorites are Angler's Dream and John Patton's Stormfront. Angler's Dream is a nice, nutty burley with cinnamon and chocolate tastes. Stormfront is a very tasty burley with the addition of cigar leaf. The cigar leaf is very much in the background, but you get a taste of it now and then and it produces tons of smoke.

I'll also second Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh and Solani ABF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.