Tighter Pack = more flavor ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mad goose, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mad goose

mad goose Member

For me that is. Anyone else ? I've been using the Cannonball method of packing and it just seems to work best for me. I think with this tighter pack I'm burning more leaf, therefore more flavor. It also seems to burn better and longer before re-lights.

2. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

That's true to a certain extent. But you can go too tight as well.

I read somewhere if it's like sucking air it's too loose. If it's like sucking milkshake it's too tight. But if it's like sucking soda then it's about right.

Seems to hold true for me so far!

Ol Brokedik and Lestrade like this.
  3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

If you're cannonballing properly, you're still leaving an air pocket toward the bottom, if I understand the technique, so I imagine that you get the benefit of less air mixed with the smoke, hence more flavor, while not suffering the ill effects of having to draw too hard and stoke the tobacco to the point of loosing flavor to heat.

While it does intrigue me, I understand that it really only works in a conically shaped bowl, and given my recent penchant for my cobs, I haven't tried it. A couple of months ago I tried jiggering with my normal packing routine and had about a week of lousy smokes, so for now I'm sticking with what I know, though I may give it a go in the future with the right pipe.

Herb

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Me too!

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I'm a picker. I'll dig in the bowl several times to "fluff up" during my smoke. I don't get the flavor with a tight pack. Also, my smoke seems to last longer. I have a better control of the burn. We're all different. Some of us are way different.

Ol Brokedik.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

It's all down to the right packing: A slow burn gives you the most pleasure. It's perhaps easier to pack light to begin with, and if you feel it might be too loose simply adjust with your tamper during your smoke.:bing:
    Different baccies call for different packing, not to mention Flakes and the fold'n'stuff method, different grades of moisture etc......
    Whatever works is right!:byg:

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I was taught to pack firm for a tighter draw which burns slower for a cooler smoke when clenching your pipe as you breathe smoke.

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

That is an understatement!
    [​IMG]

Jesla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.