Time to add more stock to the cellar, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Russ, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ

Russ Member

Well, I am one of those people that will pay over top dollar for something if I want it bad enough, but I am also one to take advantage of sale when one comes around. That being said, with P&C having the 15% off C&D blends, I figured now is as good of a time as any to stock up on some. The problem is, I have not tried many C&D blends. Thanks to Spill's recomendation a week or so ago, I have a tin of 10 Russians that I will be buying more of, I also have an unopened tin of Evening Rise and Sunset Harbor. I have also tried the Captain Bobs blend, not a fan at all, and actually have an ounce I am looking to get rid of. I also have an ounce of Haunted Bookshop and Bayou Night that I have not yet tried. So if you may, please give me some suggestions. I have plenty of English Lat blends, so I am not looking for anymore to try unless its something you think I NEED to. I dont like Aros, so no need to suggest any of those.I am looking for some Va's, or Va/Pers to put in the cellar for a year or two.

Thanks for your much anticipated suggestions.

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Bayou Morning (not the flake)

Forum Running

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I was buying a lot of C&D blends initially. Not so much anymore. But Bowlegged Bear is a nice blend in a crumble cake. Not a va/per I don't believe. Briar Fox may be a good one to try.

4. Bent

Bent Member

Try Briar Fox - While not for me, I have to admit it is an excellent Virginia plug

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not a fan of C&D , though Mr. Tarlar is my kinda guy ! I'd suggest PS LNF , LTF and Bullseye if your wanting VA stuff ... it's available , cheap and great quality . Just dont think you could go wrong with them . Some of the online sites will allow you to order their bulk stuff by the oz as a sample to try . I'm not aware at how either of the PS blends ages ... I'd imagine pretty good . As far as tin stuff ... skys the limit . If you can get ahold of some Veermaster , that would be killer . Also , OGS , Patriot Flake , GAF , McConnels Scottish Flake or Cake [ stellar ] and Dans Tordenskjold Virginia Slices would probably age well but I've only smoked it out of the tin ... it was good . Petersens & Sorensens Tradition is a great Va also , but's its hard to come by.

6. Russ

Russ Member

Thanks boys, I am gonna hold off a lil bit on ordering, going to wait to see how many more suggestions I get. But I will be placing my order soon.

7. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

+1 on the Briar Fox! It's a very nice Virginia Cake.

I also enjoy a bowl of Sunday Picnic on occasion. It is a Va Flake with a bit of Turkish.

C&D certainly has a lot to offer in wide-range of different styles. I would find it hard to believe that you couldn't find some quality blends that you enjoy! Good luck on your search ;)

~Aaron

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Opening Night is a good Virginia. I second Briar Fox as a good Virginia crumble cake. Kajun Kake is good and in my mind is like BF + perique. Sunday Picnic is good, it is Virginia +turkish. I also really enjoy oriental silk. Poplar Camp is another I have been enjoying lately. I read somewhere that it is suppose to be similar to GLP Haddos Delight but w/o the rum. Maybe, maybe not. It is pretty good.

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

One more I have been enjoying lately is First Responders.

10. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

John, you guys can have the GAF, OGS, etc, but I called dibs on the HV. :beck: :bing:

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Night Train is probably one of my favorite blends...probably in the top 10 right now. It's a VA blend a little different than most others. It's not a light, grassy, citrus-like VA blend like OGS or PS LNF or GAF...it's more robust, earthy, deep. It's a solid medium-full blend with a decent bit of burley in the blend for backbone and, I believe, a smidgeon of perique - but not so much that it makes a huge impact on the flavor to my tastes. It's got a bit of sweetness, but it's nowhere close to cloying and has a very natural taste with no detectable (emphasis on detectable) added flavorings. Pure, rich tobacco flavor. And a pound can be had for under thirty dollars, even without any sale! So I'd say that's a good bet.

Haunted Bookshop is good, but a bit spicy for my liking. I'd suggest trying it before deciding whether or not to stock up on it. I have preferred Old Joe Krantz to it, which is similar but more to my liking.

I'd also suggest Exhausted Rooster. 8oz cans are in the $25 ballpark. It's a great blend, again primarily VA but with a bit of burley, dark fired Kentucky and perique in it. It's similar in nature to Night Train in many respects, but lighter and more "typical" in it's VA flavor, and with a detectable but not cloying or aromatic casing. It's just a little something to help round it out and pull it together.

Right now I have a pound of Night Train jarred up which I haven't touched and about a half pound of Exhausted Rooster, minus a couple bowls. I'd say that Night Train reminds me a bit of an English style VA/burley - think the same nature as SG or GH flakes with zero flavoring. On the other hand, Exhausted Rooster lies between that and a more Danish style (with the notable but unobtrusive added flavor). I should think both would age decently.

12. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Mars Cigars sells some C&D blends in bulk. I've tried Haunted Bookshop. Virginia Gentleman, and Gentleman Caller and liked them enough to cellar. Unfortunately, they're behind MacB and Stokkebye on my cellaring list.

13. Russ

Russ Member

Well just placed my order...

Item Code: tptcnd451
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Captain Earle’s Ten Russians (2oz)$8.77(5)$43.85

Item Code: tptcnd11
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Briar Fox (2oz)$8.94(1)$8.94

Item Code: tptcnd38
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Kajun Kake (2oz.)$8.94(2)$17.88

Item Code: tptcnd04
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Bayou Morning Flake (2oz)$8.94(1)$8.94

Item Code: tptcnd91
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Exhausted Rooster (2oz)$8.94(1)$8.94

Item Code: bptcnd130
    Cornell & Diehl "Epiphany" (bulk)$2.50(4)$10.00

Item Code: tptcnd07
    Cornell & Diehl Tin - Black Frigate (2oz)$8.94(2)$17.88

Item Code: bptcnd58
    Cornell & Diehl Bayou Night Pipe Tobacco (bulk)$2.35(4)$9.40

Item Code: bptcnd98
    Cornell & Diehl "Billy Budd" (bulk)$2.35(4)$9.40

Item Code: bptcnd414
    Cornell & Diehl "Oriental Silk" #414 (bulk – by the ounce)$2.47(4)$9.88

Hawkwood and dwaugh like this.
  14. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Very nice!

Russ likes this.
  15. Russ

Russ Member

Thanks Glenn. I am definitely happy with my purchase. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.