Tin buying bug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by 50rayj, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Ive got the tin buying bug. No two are the same. Got to get a grip before I spend the mortgage payment . Lol

Puffer73 and shadow like this.
  2. Morse

Morse Active Member

Just explain it to them - they're sure to understand. :)

3. Puffer73

Puffer73 New Member

I fear I will be going the same way! I need to take a few weeks off of work, sit down and smoke my way through as many different tobacco's as possible!
    'her in doors' may not go much on this idea though, but they always come round in the end:xd:

4. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

DO NOT even remind me. Once I got turned on to tins I got turned on to tinned flakes, tinned ready rubbed, and tinned plug. I then found out that local pickings were light years beyond the definition of slim, and finally to add injury to insult I learned it's verboten to order online or mail baccy in to state, out of state, or inside state town to town, so I'm STUCK.

I totally want to try all sorts of awesome esoteric and magical tins, and they are just not in my grasp. It sucks!

Guess it's time to stock up on old reliable PA, if they ban that I'm moving.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I try to avoid buying tobacco in a tin, over the last fifty years I aquired that many of the darn things!. In my shop there are dozens of them - containing screws, washers, nuts and bolts etc., the wife has a few with needles, pins and buttons etc.. It was not too bad - when still working, as someone always wanted one to put their rolling tobacco in!, now I just bin them. I smoke mainly SG tobacco, and fortunately can buy it loose (or bulk - if you will ), and a little realized fact - over here, at least, is that a tin can cost extra, some of my blends are around a pound cheaper, from the jar, than in a tin that I will just throw away when I get home.
    OT

Dondi likes this.
  6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I love tins. I am getting ready to order a few myself.

7. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I like to buy tobacco in tins as you can crack them one at a time while the rest stay fresh. Also, from what i've seen on eBay, some of your older stuff can gain in value.

8. 50rayj

50rayj Active Member

Hopefully the bank manager is a pipe smoker too. Maybe he will lend me more money to buy more tins. :)

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm with Old Ted for the most part. If I'm getting something I have no expectation of smoking soon, or something which comes only tinned, I'll get a tin....I like variety after all....but as much as possible I buy bulk, save money by buying as large a quantity at once as I can rationalize, and then just put it in mason jars. The jars keep it fresher than a resealed tin most of the time - especially when talking about those damned square tins.

I'm smoking one of my favorites right now....Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Best Brown #2. Pulled about 1/3 of a monster flake from a jar and filled the pipe....tins of these cost around 10-11 dollars for 50g. The stuff I have jarred up was from a package of just over a pound, at 500g. That package cost me just over 48 dollars.

Lets rounds that to 10 bucks for 50g and 50 bucks for 500g....that turns out to be one dollar for every five grams of tinned tobacco and one dollar for every ten grams of bulk tobacco. In other words, buying that quantity in bulk means my favorite tobacco cost me only one half what it would cost if I were to buy it tinned!

Similar examples, sometimes more drastic still, can be found with the pricing of other brands which come both tinned and loose. I think I'll stick with bulk whenever I can!

The only problem lies in things like Erinmore, Orlik, Peterson, Dunhill, and others which come in tins but do not come in bulk (at least in the US) :(

10. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Mac Baren Navy Flake comes in big pound bricks, which I didn't even know. Websites I've seen always have either a canister or the tin, but I just bought two ounces from Tinderbox and yup the lady behind the counter had a fat brick of it wrapped in some goldish plastic material., If I like it enough I'll save up and buy the whole dang brick!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.