1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tin or Bulk

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SSGpiper, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

May 7, 2010
    So here is what I'm looking at.

There are tobaccos available in both tin and bulk. Naturally, if you buy it in bulk, it's cheaper. When your tobacco is available in both tins and bulk, which do you buy and what's your reasoning?
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Bulk....no point in paying for tins. I have empty tins all over the place as it is.
  3. Rider

Rider Member

Feb 26, 2010
    if i like the tin , i buy a tin. if i like the tobacco i buy bulk after. if i dont like the tin i just buy bulk

im a big collector and tins are just 1 more thing on my list
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Assuming a said tobacco I'm looking for is available both ways, I tend for the tin. Not cost effective, I know, but it is less work. I haven't broken my neck trying to stock up on a single blend yet, though. there is always another one calling my name. If I can just settle down with a couple blends, yeah, I could see bulk purchases.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hi SSGpiper.
    I buy my one favorite in bulk and put it my cellar. I buy tins of everything else for lots of reasons:
    Tins are vacuum sealed so I hope to have fresh product 5-10 years from now.
    Contents of tins is recognized immediately because labels don't fall off.
    My kids will want some of my tins after I croak as a remembrance.
    Every time I open a new tin it's like Christmas just for me.
    A broke-ass man can open a new tin and feel rich for a few minutes.

Be well.
    Semper Fi
  6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I've never bought bulk. I see nothing
    wrong with it though. I just like having
    smaller amounts of toby in their
    respective tins without having to
    go the canning jar rout, which I have.
    Plus, I don't smoke a lot, so bulk
    wouldn't make much sense to me

7. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    If I like a blend enough to get a lot of it, I'd go with bulk over tins. You can store it fine in mason jars and not have to worry about running out. The answer depends on how much of the blend you want and if you plan on aging it. Tins are best for aging, according th the esteemed blender Mr. Pease.
  8. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Lately I've been buying tins to cellar, such as escudo and OGS and buying bulk to smoke immediately. Just ordered a few oz's red cake, PS navy rolls, SG black XX, and lane 1Q to smoke while I stock up my cellar with tins. Still waiting for dunhill to arrive lol that will be awesome!
  9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Feb 9, 2010
    If everything I liked was available in bulk, I would prefer to buy it that way. I think that individual circumstances will drive more answers than anything to do with the characteristics of the tobacco.
  10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    I do both.

Some blends are not available in both tin & bulk.

Some blends only come ashore in one form and not both at that particular time. (example: SG only came ashore in bulk this past time)

I like having tins for "extra long cellaring" and tins work great as a readily available "gift" should the need arise. Tins are like opening a present on Christmas morning.

The choice is yours. Yeah, tins do cost more but some manufacturers put their bulk in tin form (C&D & GLP to name a couple). Besides, I look at it this way, if tins are readily available, and the bulk is not, I'll just get some tins and not have to "jar" anything up. Conversely, if bulk is the only thing available of that blend, I'll get the bulk and have a "jar party"! Either way, the cellar getz fatter! :)

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
  11. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

May 7, 2010
    Thanks for all the input guys. I never had the thought to post the question until I started running into good tobacco available in both forms with a pretty big price difference. So, I thought I would see what wavelength everyone else was on.
  12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    When available, I'll go for bulk every time. Its cheaper and I feel better having it in sealed canning jars than trusting the factory seal on tins...especially the square/rectangle tins. They're notorious for losing their seal, and I've had to rehydrate quite a few. I have jars that are 10+ years old, and fresh as the day I put them up.
  13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I buy my everyday tobaccos in bulk but the ones I intend to cellar properly are bought in tins - so I've a foot in both camps

14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I buy bulk when I can and mason jar them to celler. They are much cheaper to buy and tobacco is already getting expensive enough as it is, at least when you buy in the quantities I do. But I like to have one tin off it as I too collect them.
  15. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    Although my experience is minimal; I haven't tried many different tobaccos but, I will buy bulk when I can, just because of the cost ratio. I know this limits me in experiencing tobacco but, the cost right now is a major factor.

16. mhnd Al

mhnd Al Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Am going for tins, cuz Am a new pipe smoker, and don't smoke a lot, rhird I still don't have a favourite tobacco (still in search proccess)
  17. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I buy in tins because I like the tins. I've even bought some empty tins on eBay just because I wanted them. Some stuff I can only get in bulk, like my 965 clone. Perhaps I need to find an empty 965 tin to keep it in...
  18. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Mostly tins but a bit of bulk too. I prefer smaller amounts as I like variety. Plus the taxes here are high so I keep orders small.
  19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    I'll buy a tin of a new blend that I want to try out. When the tin is first popped, you get a better idea of the moisture content that the blender planned than you get from a large bag that sat in unknown conditions.
    Once I decide that I like it (and note whatever drying/moistening changes are needed for me) I will buy future orders in bulk. When I jar up the bulk, I re-fill the tin to have a little available for current smoking.
  20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    +1 for me on that!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.