Tin sizes

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by YOJiMBO20, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

So I'm confused by some of the tin sizes I see online.

A 50g tin of FMOTT looks about 10 times the size of 100g tin of Mac Baren latakia blend, just as examples.

I realize the the FMOTT is shot from the side and the lat blend from above, but the lat blend looks much like all the tins I've seen in person, which are about 3/4 of an inch tall.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

50 grams is like an ounce and a half . Keep in mind some blends are denser than others . A flake for example will take alot less space per ounce then a ribbon cut which is why , many times , flakes will be in those small rect / square tins [ I dont like them ] . The round threaded tins seal so much better ya know

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The screw-top tins seem very small and flat compared to the McClellend/CD type plastic-lid tins. Part of this is that the area (ie the volume) of the tin top corresponds to the square of the radius, which is to say, a slightly wider tin holds a tremendous amount more of tobacco. The other thing is that Mac Baren blends, especially the roll cakes, like latakia mixture, are just CRAMMED into their tins, whereas McClelland for example you'll find between 3/4 and 7/8 full.

My shock when I bought a tin of escudo, and opened it up to find about 10 little pepperoni discs splayed out on the bottom (as compared to the "stuffed hard to the rim" of Mac Baren put me off of escudo and onto Club in a big way. 50g is 50g but come on man...

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

New Dunhill tins state 1.76 oz / 50 g

dp

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

The tobacco contents are measured by weight, not volume. That's why C&D Pirate cake rattles around inside the tin while the same 50 gms of another blend fills the same sized tin completely.
    Speaking of MacBarens: I kept the original 100 gm tin of GE and then bought a pound of bulk. Carefully measuring out 100 gms (3.5 oz.) there is no way that I can get that amount of tobacco to fit inside the tin! I'd really like to know how they accomplish that. It has to be like cramming all those clowns into the old circus car.
    Dan

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , somehow they do it and remove 40 % of the air inside ... lol ... gotta love the MB wizards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.