1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tinderbox's Black Russian

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by telltime, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I stopped by the Waldorf (Maryland) Tinderbox yesterday for a brief (one bowl) visit. Unfortunately, my father is back in the hospital (he's had several strokes over the last few years) because of complications with a shunt he's had placed to drain fluids from a damaged area of his brain... long story so I'll just leave it at that, but my drive down to where he is in the hospital took me close to Waldorf, so I stopped in.

I was talking to the owner and he recommended I try this tobacco. Man was I glad he did! It's mainly a black cavendish with vanilla (there's some other flavors, but mainly vanilla) but it smokes sooooo cool with absolutely no bite! I'm usually not so emphatic, but again NO bite!!

If you can get by a Tinderbox and like vanilla (and a touch of chocolate and syrup flavor), I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend trying this.
  2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Man i truly miss a Tinderbox store, we used to have one in our cities mall when i was a kid, and when i would go there as a kid with my worthless excuses of a mother i would just stand in one spot and try to smell it all in as long as i could, maybe thats why i got into pipe smoking after all these years who knows i just rember the awesome smell of that place as a kid. And sorry to hear about your father man i wish him all the best and hope he is out of the hospital very soon.
  3. greasemunki85

greasemunki85 Member

Aug 11, 2010
    First off, I hate to hear the news about your Pops, and I can only imagine what thats like.
    My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    Second off, the tinderbox Black Russian is an amazing Tobacco. Its one of my all time favorites, if you like that, try some Midnight as well, I think its pretty much the same thing as Lane BCA. Buts its really good, Ive actually buy this by the pound.
    Black Russian to me, has alot of Chocolate, Vanilla , a bit of Caramel, a bit of Liquorish(spelling??).
    Very good smoke!
    Midnight is a bit more plain, but I think its a bit more of a cooler milder smoker, and you cant get it to bite, if you tried, but smoking it too fast, like alot of Aros' just kinda ruins the flavor.
    That being said, Im getting into more English (tinderbox coventry, frog morton), and finally stepped off into some VaPers(Mccleland 2015), which im still kinda getting used to that Ketchupy taste, but I keep coming back to Black Russian and Midnight, they are my go to baccys.
  4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Devin, sorry to hear of your Dad's condition. Hope he pulls through ok. PM me if you wish, I've put in many CSF drainage shunts in my career and know a good deal about them.

The owner of the Waldorf Tinderbox is a great guy! I've been there twice on your recommendation and it has become my favorite "local" B&M (35 mi one way). We're gonna have to get down there together one of these days when you and I can get it together. Thanks for the rec!

I've not tried Black Russian but may just have to next time I go.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  5. cmw00

cmw00 Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I'll definitely have to give some of the TB's blends mentioned here a try. I've been very impressed with their blends that I've tried, Sherlock's Choice, Wilshire and North Sea.
  6. slr

slr Member

Oct 13, 2010
    So sorry about your father.

At one time there were Tinderboxes in every mall in SoCal. Because California has some of the highest tobacco taxes, they are all gone but one, at South Coast Plaza. I do enjoy visiting that shop from time to time. When I do I like to smoke their North Sea, Anniversary, and their aged Virginia blend.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.