1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tins open?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

How long can a tin of baccy be opened for before it needs to be put in a mason jar or some sort of airtight container?

Thanks guys

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Depends on the tin. Screw-tops and plastic lids seal quite well, the rectangular tins dry out as soon as you open them, and really need to have the contents put into a jar right away.

Tobacco will stay fine in a tin for a long time if there is a lot of tobacco in the tin. If the tin is mostly empty, it will dry out faster. I routinely keep tins open for 6 months or more because I just can't use tobacco at a high pace.

3. paulmac

paulmac Member

Depending on the ambient humidity I would prolly say between two weeks to a month, but I have had some last longer, some less, darn inconsistent baccy :P

4. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Thanks guys, that helps me a lot I dont use tobacco very fast either seeing as how I dont smoke every day and I really would hate to open up a new tin just to put it in a mason jar a couple of days late...just something about it being in its original package I like.

5. pottsy

pottsy Member

Yeah, it's kind of a shame that our choice is mason jars, but that's mainly because of affordability. I have seen other, much nicer jars, that seal, but the price was a bit much considering how many a person might want to have.

6. telltime

telltime Active Member

I agree with Sas' answer... and one thing to keep in mind about humidity, Sas lives in Canada where the air tends to be pretty dry and cold. Not exactly the moist suitable environment for storing tobacco.

If you don't smoke often enough to go through a tin in a week or two (and some folks go through a couple of oz. in more like 2 or three days), or if you rotate through a lot of tobaccos, then get it into a mason jar anywhere from right away to a few weeks, depending on the tobacco and your pace of smoking.

Something I do if I think I'm going to finish the tin, say, within a month is once it's opened I'll stick it (the tin) in a zip lock bag with a couple of those little round metal humidifiers. This is what I do when I'm really enjoying a tin and use it more as a regular smoke vs. an occasional smoke.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

When you can get a flat of jars for $7-12 depending on the size you get........it's very hard to beat. Glass doesn't flavor the toby and keeps it as fresh as you left it, maybe even better!

To help control the amount of moisture loss my open tins are exposed to, I put the open ones inside a large cylinder that has a canning jar type seal. It originally had cashews (Costco) in it ($16) and they were good. Didn't want to throw out the container........so she's holding my open Dunhills and a couple of other tobys in safety. Makes it easy to just grab a bunch of toby when I'm planning on doing some serious smoking too! :groucho:

Bottom line, you have to be the judge re: your toby and tin adequacy! :whistle:

The ones that have open bags (i.e., Sillems, Peterson "seasonal", etc.) are the absolute worst. It may be very dry even within the "sealed" bag (the seal is only a sticker holding a "folded" closed bag inside the tin).

Jars are the best at keeping your toby in great shape and bang/buck considerations.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Well like I said I dont smoke ever day therefor it is harder for me to get tired of a blend very fast so I usually open a tin and stick with it until its gone then I change, so I might go with telltimes method and put the tin in a plastic back for a few weeks I have plenty of small mason jars I use for samples that various people have sent me and I have acquired.

9. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Not all round tins are created equal. I had a half-full tin of Balkan Sasieni that dried out, becoming crispy and in need of rehabilitation. Now I just use jars for anything I'm not going to smoke immediately, leaving my open tins down to just a couple.

Here's how I do it now:

- Open tins for tobaccos that won't last a few weeks
    - Plastic bags for bulks that won't last a few weeks
    - Plastic tupperware-style containers for short term storage (although I'm phasing those out in favor of jars)
    - Mason jars for long term storage.

10. Brian

Brian Member

I'm a one or two bowl a day guy. I smoke way slower than I acquire, even just buying a tin or two every couple weeks.

I leave tobacco in an open tin for maybe a day or two. I sometimes leave the tin sitting out with lid off overnight. I like the way most tobaccos develop in flavor when they get a little dose of fresh air.

Then I put them straight into a mason jar.

You can always let small amounts air out longer when you want to use them. It's less likely you can take a tobacco backwards in time if you let it all dry too much.

11. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I'm of the type who acquires a variety of tins at once, can't wait to open them all, and I smoke them way slow.

My standard procedure is to jar 1/2 the tin immediately and leave the other half in the tin for my smoking pleasure.

Another thing that might work pretty decently for you is to get a bail top jar. The type with the wire "latch" that allows you to crank the lid down tight. I don't know if it's as good as a mason jar but it seems to hold the moisture pretty good.

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I only smoke a bowl or 2 a week (a promise to my wife). In SoCal we have no cellars, so I keep all my baccy in a small drawer, in the bottom corner of a small closed closet (in a room on the north side of the house). It's the coolest place in the house,besides the fridge. I have a couple of mason jars, but I have been keeping the majority of my stash in those attractive storage jars from WallyWorld. They aren't the screw-on or latch type,however the lids seem very tight. No ill effects, yet!

Like the OP (I think), I enjoy looking at nice things. I guess I'm a very visual guy. So in the near future I plan to buy more small mason (twist on jars) to keep the majority of baccy in. I will probably use a small good-looking press-on container to keep "The Prince" in on the (gas) fireplace mantel, along with my pipe rack. If it dries, it's not the end of the world. At least I'll enjoy looking at my set-up, while watching football. For some reason, I love the occasional sniff of Prince Albert, too! :yes:

Note: I have noticed that the smaller press-on jars at WalMart shut much tighter than the larger ones.

13. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

The push-on pull-off wally world jars haven't sealed real good for me long-term. The bail-top ones seem to hold in the freshness longer.

14. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I'll check those out. Thank you.

15. pottsy

pottsy Member

"Cellar" is just a generic term for storing of baccy. I'd wager only a handful of people on here have a true cellar at their house, and if they do, they probably don't store there baccy in it.

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Be patient, I'll wise-up eventually.

You experienced pipers, must often get a real kick, out of us "rookies!" :xd:

17. pottsy

pottsy Member

Hope I didn't come off as sounding impatient with ya. Wasn't my intent.

I am still a novice myself, so no worries.

18. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I have one of the bail-top jars. It's about 8-10 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter or so. It seems to work pretty well, but sometimes I think I can smell the tobacco inside it through the seal. The one I have is also plastic, not that I'm sure if that is even an issue. Then when you consider the price, you can get a whole case of mason jars for less than the cost of two of these type jars. I think I'll just be buying mason jars from now on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.