Tins Vs Bulk

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

Ok so like i said just prior to this Dunhill EMP all I had smoked was Bulk. Is the difference between the 2 normally this distinct? I mean my bulk is not bad? The tin I had though is awesome.

So I guess I keep buying the bulk and a few tins for the occasion? I really have a hard time justifying the tin price. Any thoughts, Beale.

2. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

It really depends on what bulk you are smoking. If you are smoking something like an Altadis (sp?), then yeah, there could be a big difference. It's like anything else, if more care and time is taken to make something, then chances are the end result will be an item of improved quality.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If you buy bulk and it was stored in somebodys hallway or whatever .. it might not be in as good a shape compaired to that same blend from a freshly opened tin . Whomever is selling bulk will hopefully ...1] Turn it over and 2] keep it well . They should be the same but arent sometimes because of a variable condition .

4. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

Good tobacco is good tobacco regardless of the price!

I've smoked a lot of terrible tins and a lot of good ones; same can be said for bulk.

Some times you'll find a gem that only costs you a few bucks per once, other times the high dollar hard to find baccy will call your name.

Only way to know for sure is to SMOKE THEM ALL! :cheers:

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Some bulks are not offered in a tinned version and more vice versa.

Stonehaven?

C&D 414 and other C&D blends

Tins store the best as long as the seal is intact. I do both and get what I want and then get a little bit of something that sounds interesting. Some say McCl 5110 is Frog Morton in bulk. Well, I smoke all 4. 5110, FM, FMATP and FMOTT and 5110 is my pref over the other 3.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo pufff

6. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the info. I will just keep trying them and see what I like and what I do not, Beale.

7. Marc

Marc Active Member

Most of the McClelland Virginia's I enjoy only come in tins and have no McClelland bulk equivalent that I like as much.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've found that McClelland Bulk #2015 tastes nearly identical to St James Woods once the 2015 gets a couple years of cellar time on it. Beyond that, don't see much in the way of similarities between their bulk and their tins. Dark Navy Flake is supposed to taste like tinned Navy Cavendish but I have not been able to confirm that after several trials. And I believe #2010 is supposed to be like tinned #22 but I don't smoke either one so I can't comment.

Definitely no bulk equivalent for #24 or #25.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

I agree dmkerr, 2010 and 2015 are close in comparison to #22 Matured Virginia and St. James Woods but are not the same blends according to McClellands. Some smokers also claim 5110 is Frog Morton in bulk as they are similiar, who really knows for sure?

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

They told me that 2010 and 2015 were "essentially" the same blends as #22 and SJW but that the latter had more age on them before they were tinned. I'm not sure what "essentially" means so you're right - I guess only McClellands knows for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.