To cellar or not?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MikeInMaine, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I have some unopened tins and dont know if aging would benefit these particular tobaccos.
    They are: CAO Moontrance
    CAO Bella Vanilla
    MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake
    Dunhill Nightcap (I have not tried this one yet)

I have heard that aromatics dont get much better over time Should I store any of these?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Heavy aros will go south with much age. I do age a McClellands bulk (#2050) but 2 years seems to be its limit.

with the Mac baren, I guess it depends on whether you like it fresh. If you do, you could try aging it, as it's not a heavy aro. Personally, i don't think anything could make it worse than it already is... but that's just one guy's opinion. :beck:

Nightcap should age well. After 15 years or so, it may not be exactly Nightcap anymore but you might like it better... or not.

Capt likes this.
  3. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Ok I will store the Nightcap and MacBarens and see what happens to it. Some experimentation is in order.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The question is, do tobaccos actually get better with age or do they start to deteriorate with age?

I remember reading that Mike McNeil of McClelland Tobacco stated that most McClelland Virginias were optimum for smoking at around 5 years of age and beyond that there was very little change with longer aging, so my Virginia cellar runs on a 5/6 year cycle... I like my Virginias when they seem optimum for smoking, and so far, I have not been disappointed... :beck:

5. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I just finished a tin of blue note that I have had for 12months, not sure how long it was on the shelf before I bought it. It tasted no different as far as I can tell.

Morse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.