1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

To the Peterson Irish Flake (PIF) Fans

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tom Sawyer, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Good evening gents,
    I have opened a tin less than 4 days ago and the flakes are already turning on the dry side. It happened the last time I opened a tin as well, but I thought it was me.
    The same happened when I opened my tin of University Flake. All the flakes were moist upon opening.
    Usually, both PIF & PUF take longer before they dry out in the tin like that. My opened tins are stored in one of my Coleman coolers and it takes weeks before they dry out.
    I am wondering if Kohlhase & Kopp, the manufacturer, brought some changes to the recipe...
    Did this happened to anybody else?

2. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I've experienced the same thing when finally being forced to move from the old rectangular tins to the new square tin. I thought the tin was at fault, but as your post implies, I may have been mistaken. I seem to recall the flakes becoming "bone dry" after about a week.

psquared and jpberg like this.
  3. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've run into the same problem with IF. Now I just toss it in a maison jar right away and it seems to be good for longer.

4. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Yessir. I do exactly what bigJ said. I've noticed the same problem, so I toss mine right into jars when I open it.

5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

Nice to know I am not the only one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.