Toasted tobaccos?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Schmitz Bitz, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Kind of a strange couple of questions here...

I am thinking about ordering up a "Blakeney's Best Baked" sample pack, but as I haven't had much experience with latakia, or any with perique, I am not sure if sampling a toasted blend will give me the true experience of the "condiment" tobaccos. Can anyone explain how toasting effects the flavour profile of a blend?

Secondly, and this is the real strange one, pretty much everything I can find on the internet about toasted tobacco's seems to have to do with smoking something else; they are toasting the tobacco to remove toxic constituents and nicotine. This is not something I would enjoy - I love my vitamin N, so before I invest in four tins, I've got to know, are toasted tobacco's going to be particularly mild in this department?

Finally, how does toasting tobacco differ from the heat curing methods (IE dark fired)? As I understand it, the heat curing methods help to age the tobacco, bringing out the natural sugars from the leaf. Does toasting have the same effect?

2. Major

Major Member

Excellent question and I look forward to reading the old farts reply's too. But my guess is it would have the same effect as roasting coffee..french roast (blech) light, medium etc etc. Can't wait to hear what the guys have to say.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The toasting process is supposed to tame the bite. They don't bite, but I can't say it's because of the toasting. Flavor wise, they don't seem any smoother, and I can't really tell what it does to the taste unless I sample it back to back with the same thing but untoasted. So I guess what I'm saying is I don't have a clue!

If toasting removes nicotine, they were successful with these four. Definitely on the light side of the Nic spectrum.

to your third question, I confess another "duh". The reason I'm responding it all, since to this point I've been zero help, is to let you know that I have an open tin of the Bayou Slices and I'd be happy to send you a sample if you want to try it before investing. It's an excellent VaPer small flake. The Acadian is very similar but in ribbon form. The Tawny is a nice sweet straight VA flake. The Latakia Flake is excellent, which I discovered when I forgot about it and left the tin open and it turned to crispy critters. From then on, it was well above average. But you gotta like latakia to appreciate it.

PM me and I'll shoot you a sample of the one I have. Sorry about my lack of knowledge about toasting but unless I smoked one toasted and the same thing untoasted, it's the old apples and oranges routine.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you love sweet lady nicotine...well, the McClelland house isn't your best bet. I can't think of any stout blends they offer, to be honest.

I really have no useful information to add...I just assumed toasting was a stoving variant.

Now, fire cured, to my understanding, is just that...curing raw leaves directly with an open flame. Stoving is a finishing process...heat, and possibly pressure, added to what would otherwise already be a finished product. No doubt there is gray areas here, and I'm not convinced I understand it properly. I'm more interested in just firing it up!

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Now that you mention it, you be right alright. Can't think of any either.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

He's right. McClellands doesn't believe in the magic of dark-firing or burleys. Even the few burleys they make are of the light and slightly aromatic variety. The first time I heard the phrase "Burley is Burley", it came directly from McClellands. The problem is not that they said it, but that I believed it.

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

The couple of Blakeneys blends I tried were OK but I would also call them atypical. Their virginia/perique (Bayou Slices) is punchy, deep, dark and muddled. It was neither bad nor characteristic of the genre. The other Blakeneys blend I tried (name forgotten) was the same deal - highly stoved, atypical, not bad and maybe not a great intro to the species.

8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

The only toasted tobaccos that I know of personally were the old Perth made Rattrays, toasted over copper grates. It definitely imparted a slightly burnt taste to the tobacco, which was very pleasant. I doubt the new blender is doing that though.

9. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

The tin notes from Bayou Slice - Sophisticated small slices of the smoothest Louisiana Perique aged in cakes to mellow with sweet, zesty Matured Virginia. Rich and satisfying, with Perique's uniquely mysterious and compelling aroma, enhanced by Blakeney's exclusive toasting process.; dunno if it is on copper plates, but I would put money on the process being similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.