tobacco and salt

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Happy friday everyone,

So I was wondering about old customs for toby. Does Old houses like samuel gawith use salt to preserve tobacco ? For example with my chocolate flakes i find them very salty. Its the same for my SG snuff, each of my SG snuffs have a salty taste.

inkybat likes this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

That's a good question? I can taste salt in General Snus White portion, but have never tasted salt in a pipe tobacco.

David Emond likes this.
  3. Brit abroad

Brit abroad Active Member

I don't know, but there is also a very pleasant salty after taste to Germains Special Latakia Flake, reminds me of the sea, I can't imagine salt being used in tobacco, maybe its a byproduct like the build up of sugars on well aged tobacco, interesting question.

David Emond likes this.
  4. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I think you just need to stop drinking margaritas while smoking your pipe -- or at least have them stop salting the rim of the glass. :toast:

jhguthlac, BigJ, Thuber88 and 4 others like this.
  5. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yeah, Copenhagen was my snuff of choice before I gave it up for the pipe. It always had a salty taste when fresh. I often wondered if the moisture used was a salt solution.

David Emond likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

OMG ... IT'S PG :eek: .......... lol .

I have no Idea

Jay, David Emond and Thuber88 like this.
  7. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I usually get a salty flavor, at least in the mouth smoke, when I smoke a Latakia blend. It may just be me, though.

8. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

From the U.S. Smokeless website concerning Copenhagen Snuff. These are the only ones they'll list because they want to protect their recipe.

You have at least three salts listed.

• Water
    • Tobacco
    • Salt (Sodium Chloride)
    • Natural and Artificial Flavors
    • Ethyl Alcohol
    • Sodium Carbonate
    • Ammonium Carbonate
    • Preservatives

SouthBound and David Emond like this.
  9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Or at least stop salting the rim of the pipe...

Coastal Bend and jhguthlac like this.
  10. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Snus most definitely does contain salt - as a flavor enhancer (same as in potato chips ;) ).

I have no idea if snuffs or pipe tobacco have any salt in them. I've only picked up a salty taste in a pipe once or twice.

11. mugwump

mugwump Member

I pretty much gave up Swedish Snus because I'm one of those rare birds who doesn't care much for the overpowering taste of salt. As for pipe tobacco I wonder if some salt content is naturally in the leaves and gets concentrated through the drying process. Having tasted pipe tobacco while trying to discern what leaves went into a blend there's a definite saltiness present in some cases.

12. ruffinogold

I found a bale floating down in florida one time .... that was some salty stuff . It must have been floating a while cause even the stuff in the center was salty . That was really depressing . Anyway , I don't get any salt in Pipe Tobacco or Snuff . The only time I have is when I salt whiskey treated a pipe and didn't clean the shank well enough and got a salty smoke , in which case I cleaned it out .

phinz likes this.
  13. David Emond

Wow so there is salt in some toby's

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

Copenhagen is an oral snuff . I would imagine the chew type stuff has salt .. heck , what food item doesn't these days

David Emond likes this.
  15. David Emond

True true, im still convinced that samuel gawith adds salt somehow at least in some of their blends. I didnt detects any in my firedance flakes but i did detect it the most in the chocolate flakes.

ruffinogold and MikeInMaine like this.
  16. ruffinogold

I wouldn't doubt it ... they've been doing things the same way for a bazillion years . If they would modernize enough to realize you can put a tobacco blend in a tin that would be ready to go when the tin is popped ... what a Godsend that would be

David Emond likes this.
  17. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

The question I have is what does the smoke from burning salt taste like? Does the taste of salt transfer through the smoke? I have a feeling that it doesn't taste salty and that when you taste salt in tobacco smoke it is something else. Just my humble opinion. Who knows, maybe some salt is added to some casings. :msty:

:eek: Excuse me while I go load my pipe with salt to find out what it tastes like.:eek:

gahdzila likes this.
  18. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Ok, I'm basically talking out of my arse, so take this with a (haha) GRAIN OF SALT! :xd:

I don't think salt would burn per se. More likely, it would dissolve in the moisture generated by combustion...then carried on the steam/smoke stream to the palate....where it would just taste like salt.

Yankee Bill likes this.
  19. Jay

Jay Active Member

Could have been picked up by the salt air where it is processed and aged?

20. phinz

phinz Active Member

Salt doesn't burn below about 239* F. FWIW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.