1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco appraisal

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Old Ted, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I have to admire some posters who try several tobaccos 'back to back' in a relatively short space of time and can form a firm opinion as to their suitability etc. Personally - I have never been able to do this, some blends that have not impressed me at first, or even after the first day have proved to be satisfactory after finding the best way to handle them (pipe, packing etc.), and sole smoking of an ounce or two. We all have different methods - of course, but I always finish a pouch or tin before jumping for joy - or heading for the bin!...just a few evening thoughts - with help from the excellent produce of a certain Mr.J.Daniels! :eek:hyeah:
    Cheers, OT.

2. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

I agree sir.

I've learned that I need to smoke at least an ounce of something to form an opinion of whether or not I like it.

There are a few exceptions though, ones i knew I liked after 1 bowl, one of those being IF, 1792, FVF, and JKP.

Stonehaven was good to, but overrated to me.

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a good idea to write off a pipe tobacco before a few good bowl fulls, and having smoked it at different times of the day. I had tried several bowls of Peter Stokkebye Natural in different pipes at different times, and wasn't really impressed. Then I tried it early one morning in a corncob pipe with only black coffee on the palate - it was great. It has since become my morning pipe.

4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I find it's quicker to determine which blends I like, than those I dislike. I generally give those blends I am not fond of initially many more opportunities to sway my mind. And if that doesn't work I put it in a jar to re-visit much later.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm with RH. I've found blends I like right out of the gate, and continue to enjoy. On the other hand, there have been tobaccos I didn't care for, that I love now (Sillem's Black). If I get a toby I don't care for on the first bowl, I try a different loading method, and try to smoke it a little differet (dry time, slower, something). Sometimes they greatly improve. Sometimes they still are funky.

Ted, you can't be that bad if you like Jack. I took my family to the JD distillery for vacation a couple of summers ago, so have an affinity for it. I also named my youngest boy Jack. ;)

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I agree with Ogre. You can have a great tobacco that's a real stinker in one pipe. Try that same tobacco in another pipe(s). I've spent the weekend smoking new Orientals. I found a real winner in this new batch. Having smoked the same pipe several times in a row, I switched to a different pipe but stayed with the same tobacco. The change in taste was dramatic. It was like I changed tobacco! It was just dumb luck I got this tobacco in the right pipe the first time.

It's not always the tobacco. Sometimes, it's the wrong pipe. This is one reason why most of us have more than one pipe.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

7. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

This is good info and a great thread, guys.

My problem is I only partake once or twice a week. I think that puts me at a disadvantage, in regards to your statements, which I believe, by the way. But I don't think I can compare baccy's in this manner. If I want to see which I like better between 2, I use them back to back at the same sitting.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I think there's a lot of mileage in what Ted says and some other good points have been made.

From my own point of view whevever I'm asked to try a tobacco, I scribble some notes as to my initial impression, but make a point of trying any tobacco in a clean Falcon, a briar a meer and a cob, before making up my mind.

As has been wisely pointed out tobaccos can taste differently in different pipes and I do agree that you have to give any tobacco a full test, taking time and trying it in different pipes.

Preferences are also personal, and of course as importantly, tastes can change over time.

Again in my own case a couple of years ago I did a series of reviews of one blender's tobaccos which were predominantly blended with a proportion of cogar leaf and latakia. Having loved the Sobranie Blends when younger this range of tobaccos appealed to me greatly....then I worked my way through about 4lbs of straight virginia last year and found when I returned to the tobaccos I loved previously I simply could not face them - and in fact gave away about 2lbs of the latakia/cigar leaf tobaccos as well as some tins of Old Dublin which were of the same taste family.

I think the best any tester can do, is to give a tobacco a fair trial, try to convey the flavours and strength of the blend and comment in its smoking features in as honest and descriptive manner as is possible - but it will still be a personal opinion.

Best as ever

Gerry

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Funny thing how this theme rings true but, for me, only as a one-way condition.

I have many time smoked tobacco I thought was average, bland, muddled or just plain bad. After letting it air out, dry out or trying it pushed through another pipe (especially orientals) I have sometimes been amazed at the remarkable improvement. However, I rarely experience a great tobacco on first blush which, later, always fails. Odd.

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I went through that, in the positive direction, with Wilderness (and have since learned that I'm not alone). Seemed like nothing special, and then one day I accidentally put it in the correct pipe and WHAM!

In the negative direction, I used to really enjoy some Perique-heavy blends (Haddo's, for example) and now I seem to be allergic. I can use it for snuff, but I can't smoke it without having my eyes burn and my throat close up.

I have an arbitrary rule that states "thou shalt have no more than five tins open," and thus will pitch a tin if I get through half of it without finding any enjoyment. Since many of those blends have been extravagantly praised hereabouts, I'll refrain from naming names so as to avoid ridicule and chastisement.

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...Chicken!... :eek:hyeah:

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Yep. Discretion, valor, etc.

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

The old adage of "You need to smoke X ounces of a blend in order to form an intelligent opinion" is largely true - "x" being at least an ounce.

The exceptions are rare, but notable. Typically if something strikes you as extremely foul (as Mixture 79 did for me), a second bowl isn't going to help it. Sometimes the smoker finds no reason to continue.

As for different pipes, mine come in 3 sizes... Big, Wide, Big & Wide. The big ones are also wide and the wide ones also big. Some tobaccos work better in small pipes. Those are tobaccos I do not smoke. The good news is that, for me, only ropes don't work in large pipes, and I doubt they'd work in smaller pipes, either. :groucho:

14. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Anyone know somewhere online to find Mixture 79? All the "rave" reviews have me curious to put my hand on the stove.

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Here's some.

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Once again, I'm reminded never to throw tobacco away. I pitched my pouch and I should have saved it and sent it to you to try! I guess I was so offended by this stuff that I figured no one could possibly like it, but I'd be a fool to think that everyone shares my taste... and there are those who just want to try it. My bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.