1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco Descriptions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Hey all,
    Just had a question about how to tell the differnt tobaccos apart from each other. I just started smokimg as you most know and now I have decided to stick with the hobby so I gotta start learning somewhere! How can I tell the,difference between lets say virginia, english or cavendish tobys? Is there a color difference to them or somwthing?
    Thanks to all in advance!
  2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010

Type of leaf

Bag/Tin aroma

And bottom line, by smokin' it! :)

And of course, what the manufacturer said or what TR says.

As time goes by, you'll gain more and more familiarity with the different blends you've experienced and before you know it.............. you'll be able to just look, smell, and feel a toby and have a fairly accurate "guess" as to what's in it.........but then some remain mysterious until burned.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Yes .. they have a look . I couldnt explain it in words . I guess you could buy a straight burley blend .. etc. Then just look at them really .. check them out . I get tripped up a bit myself and I've been looking at them for awhile .
  4. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong guys, by all means, but umm....
    Latakia is black
    Black Cavendish is black
    Virginias can be many colors
    Burley is brownish??
    Perique is brownish too?????
    Not good with colors 0_o
    Va's are naturally sweet that tend to have "earthy" hints of flavor or hints of a flavor almost like hay (my preference). very clean taste
    Latakia tastes like a campfire. They come from Oriental tobaccos that have had smoke channeled up through them. Two types tho, Syrian which is sweeter (and spicier in a cinnamon sort of way in my opinion) and Cyprian which tastes basically like a campfire and not much else.
    English blends have usually a lot of Virginias backed by some latakia.
    Cavendish is semi-sweet???
    Orientals ordinarily are "nutty".
    Burley is...well to me it tastes like the most stereotypical tobacco you could possibly imagine
    And Perique is a spicy tobacco.
    Bah, what a terrible, hopelessly insecure reply
    For clearcut, detailed information that has much more reliability than the idiot typing, refer to www.pipedia.com for further knowledge
  5. erickghint

erickghint Member

Sep 3, 2009
  6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Oct 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.