tobacco for a new guy

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I love this stuff. I wish I had found it when I was starting out!

Paul

2. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

Ahhh, the bite...for me, the bite doesn't really burn until later. I'll feel a tingle while I smoke, but usually I really feel it the next morning. Like a boiled cow tongue: raspy and raw. My taste buds feel like knobby bike treads. I'm usually good if I lay off for a day. If the pipe is getting too hot, then watch out. Most of the time it's because I'm not paying attention and puffing to aggressively, or just plain smoking all freakin' day without a break, rotating pipes, trying too many tobaccos in one day. That usually happens on weekends. Get yourself some Biotene from the drug store just in case. It's probably gonna happen anyway. Biotene helps, it provides relief, but it's not a cure. Once burned, you should lay off smoke for a day or two...or more. Also maybe drink something while smoking: coffee, scotch, a good beer, milk, or whatever you like. It helps a bit, I think because you are not totally focusing on the pipe. The pauses to drink and relax help cut into the puffing time. Many suggested that MacBaren blends bite more (I've heard that about other brands as well). I found 7 Seas Royal to be more mellow and still smells good and tastes good compared to other MB tobaccos I've tried. There are so many other blends to try besides MB. Keep searching. Eventually you'll find some that are just right. I eventually shifted from pretty smelling aros to falling in love with Latakia blends. They may not smell pretty, but they sure taste good and I've found they bite me less. If you ever become curious about Latakia, try McClelland Frog Morton Original, or FM On the Town. Not too strong and very tasty, and I think they smell fine. Good luck. JG

David Emond likes this.
  3. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Thanks everyone for the tips and help. I finally got out to my local store today to see their sellection and i ended up with a MacBaren Vanilla cream loose cut. And well since I was there I had to browse one more time the Petersons so i got a Standard 312 lol[​IMG]

Jussto, IrishRover and RTOdhner like this.
  4. Morse

Morse Active Member

Excellent choices Sir, enjoy them! Peterson makes a great pipe as many here will attest.

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1... good choices.

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Great pipe!! and baccy... Time to place my New Years order :)

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Best advise I ever got here was to "sip" the pipe. If you toke on it like a smokestack, its going to make the toby hot and increase your chance of bite. Although some tobaccos bite as part of their nature, many times I have found that tobaccos that used to bite me stopped once I smoke slower.

8. Morse

Morse Active Member

+1

9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Very nice pipe and tobacco both!

10. David Emond

So the Macbaren's pouch was 20$ is that a fair price?

11. sarge564

sarge564 Member

holy cow!! where do you live? Around here (Indiana, USA) it would be $7 - $10

12. David Emond

hmmm well maybe ill have to shop around, or maybe thats the prices for my area, they had some brands going into the 60$

13. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Two words for you.

Mail order

MakDragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.