tobacco for beginners

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jim Lee, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Lee

Jim Lee Member

ive never smoked a pipe before, any reccomendations? im in the uk, keep seeing people talk about carter hall but thats not available in the uk :-(

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , you guys have killer OTC over there ! Ours is damn good too , just different . You could always trade with a colonist . I'm a fan of Ogdens Walnut ! Try the Ogdens ...... it's fuller in strength but not crazy strong . I also like Y'alls Mick McQuaid .

3. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

Are Mac Baren's blends available there? I would highly recommend their Scottish Blend (Mixture).

MakDragon likes this.
  4. fordy

fordy Member

You don't have that much choice over here unless you mail order, Greens of Leeds, J. Barber of Otley, My-Smoking-Shop, Gauntleys of Nottingham are probably the ones most of us use. There is also one in Scarborough whose name I have forgotten). If you mail order, some of the Peterson blends are nice and gentle if you fancy something aromatic. I would leave McBarens for now as they tend to smoke too hot if you aren't careful.
    Supermarket (OTC) blends are St Bruno, Condor, Mellow Virginia & Clan - if you are lucky. I think Mellow Virginia is a good choice for starters, not too heavy and forgiving on the tongue if you overdo it. Clan should be avoided at all costs IMHO, unless you are a sadist!
    Having been lucky enough to sample a large number of US blends, including CH & SWR - I can't say there is anything available over here that is anywhere near comparable.

5. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Where abouts in Yorkshire are you jim? York has a smashing tobacconist called choice select, it's down coppergate and has a great variety and some very helpful staff. They'll probably point you in the direction of some of the G&H aromatics such as cherry and vanilla, or mac baren cube ( both great in my opinion). The best thing is they are all loose so you can have a sniff of the tubs before you commit, just bare in mind they don't all smoke like they smell :P there's also Mee & Parvin in Selby if that's anywhere near you, similar setup and great variety.

I remember trying condor ready rubbed (the green bagged OTC with a gold condor on it) when I was pretty new to pipe smoking, it nearly KO'd me its that strong! I'd steer clear of that until you've developed a bit of a tolerance for nicotine :P

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Been in Choice Select.
    They have many great
    tobaccos! Try Ogden's
    Walnut as Ruff suggested.
    Also in pouches is St. Bruno,
    Three Nuns, and three
    different Condor blends.
    If the ready rubbed was
    too much, start with the
    Condor Blended (cream
    coloured pouch). Buy
    some Bulwark for me
    please. ;)

7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Condor or St. Bruno. We can't get them here in the States, but you can over in the UK. They're great blends.

8. Jim Lee

Jim Lee Member

I lived in york for 7 years, know where your talking about but iys a bit of a mission to get down there for me nowadays though

9. Jim Lee

Jim Lee Member

Thanks for the advice guys, Ill try various of your suggestions, see how I get on :)

10. Jim Lee

Jim Lee Member

Im getting a petersons blend sent today with my pipe, read some reviews and seems okay, gentle but nothing spectacular. Its the sherlock holmes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.