1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco for humid days?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ok, so I just got back from a trip to Wal-Mart, during which I decided to sneak a quick bowl of Westminster. I didn't give much thought to the fact that it was raining, and went about my ritual only to find that the humidity just sucked the life out of the smoke.

I'm curious what blends others have observed performing wonderfully in the rain, and what others I might expect to fall short.
  2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

Jan 6, 2010
    for me humidity causes more problems with pipes than tobaccos. i have two nearly identical pipes from the same manufacturer, same time period, same amount of cake, and smoke the same tobaccos in both of them prepared the same way. when its rainy/extra humid one is a freaking hot, bitey mess no matter what toby i stick into it, the other smokes like it normally does with about one drop of moisture. is it the briar? the .009" difference in the diameter of the bowl? no clue. but some pipes think they're hookahs every time the weather is foul, and on days like that I take one of the ones that dont have issues (falcons are usually safe bets) or only smoke indoors.
  3. nobler son

nobler son Member

Jan 1, 2010
    When the humidity gets up (and bloody hell is the south humid in summer!) I smoke more cigars than pipes. When the hygrometer (yes, a real word) reads almost 100%, it's hard for me to find a tobacco that will stay lit.
  4. sorringowl

sorringowl SorringowlandSons.etsy.com

Aug 2, 2010
    Wilderness and Balkan Sasieni are two of my favorite toby's and I've found (by mistake) that these are even better in the rain.
  5. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I'm not sure why, but VAs seem even better in hot and humid weather.
  6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

I too find humidity can be a bit of a problem, both for me, the pipe I'm smoking and the type of tobacco.

For me the pipe answer is either a meer, a cob or best of all a Falcon loaded with a fairly robust British type Virginia - the same as I smoke outdoors in the winter - warm damp air seems to strip some delicate flavours and can even affect an old favourite aromatic.

The Sam Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth type of tobaccos go well in those conditions and John Patton's Virginias work well as they are presented dry in the first place,

Best to all

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    If I let humidity bother me I'd only get to smoke a pipe about 20 days a year. Being on the Texas Gulfcoast humidity is just a fact of life. In the warm months it is really humid all the time. In the cooler months it is dry if we have a norther blowing but humid other than that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.